Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What stitching software can handle this?

Currently working on a project that involves the same subject, shot against different backgrounds, then wanted to stitch them together. I know software programs have no trouble stitching overlapping photos of the same subject, but is there one where it can recognize the subject within different backgrounds and still be able to make the stitching work? Or, am I out of luck and have to do it all manually?

04-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Currently working on a project that involves the same subject, shot against different backgrounds, then wanted to stitch them together. I know software programs have no trouble stitching overlapping photos of the same subject, but is there one where it can recognize the subject within different backgrounds and still be able to make the stitching work? Or, am I out of luck and have to do it all manually?
Can you clarify the goal? You're shooting the same subject against different backgrounds, you say; what result do you want from the stitching?
04-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For the subject in each photo to match up correctly, while each having different backgrounds.
04-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

For the subject in each photo to match up correctly, while each having different backgrounds.
Ok, I guess I don't have enough information. I am imagining a person as the subject. I shoot that person in front of multiple backgrounds. Then stitch... what? Do we end up with a row of pictures of one person in front of stripes of different backgrounds?

Sorry, I'm just having trouble seeing it...

04-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh, wait. Do you mean, say, a bunch of photographs of different people all stitched together to appear in the same photograph against a single backdrop, or multiple (striped?) backdrops?
04-27-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
1 subject in a shot, either person or building. sky background in one shot, studio background in another; etc etc. The building, person, obejct all remain as the focal point within the shot, but everything behind it changes. Is there a program that can stitch together within the photo (ie the central subject) because I know most stitching programs rely on everything being the same at each joining edge, and preferably overlapping. Can any program piece together edges that do not match, or will I have to do it all manually?
04-27-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1 subject in a shot, either person or building. sky background in one shot, studio background in another; etc etc. The building, person, obejct all remain as the focal point within the shot, but everything behind it changes. Is there a program that can stitch together within the photo (ie the central subject) because I know most stitching programs rely on everything being the same at each joining edge, and preferably overlapping. Can any program piece together edges that do not match, or will I have to do it all manually?
Ok, if I understand you now, you want to take a subject (any single subject) and superimpose it over multiple backgrounds, yes?

CS5 has some 'content-aware' masks, but I've not worked with them. If I were going to try and do what you're describing with an image *I* was going to shoot, I'd green-screen the person, then mask them out using colors; once you've got them masked out, you can drop 'em on anything.

There are several software products designed to help you mask out items - in the instance that your subject is a building, say, one can't shoot THAT against a green screen! - easier than the magic wand or manual painting in PS. Topaz Remask seems pretty good - I've only played with the demo.

Still, you're probably going to get your best results by doing it manually with the quick-mask mode and the magic wand.

04-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #8
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Manually is what I figured. thanks. Guess there's still progress to be made in image manipulation software!