Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2007, 05:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IrfanView as a RAW Converter

I've spent the last three days shooting RAW, just to see what all the fuss is about. I'll admit I was astounded by the level of rescue of borderline images that can be done when starting with the raw data.

But for the most part, the images didn't require individual tender loving care with a RAW converter and some simple brain-free method of converting to jpg was all that was needed.

I knew that I could browse .pef files in IrfanView, and as I was browsing through pairs of images....one the .pef file and the other a conversion through ufraw.exe....I noticed that without exception IrfanView was doing a better job of presenting the images on screen.

So this evening I hit upon the idea of just scrolling through the day's RAW files with IrfanView, hitting "S" and "Enter", and having my conversion done that way.

I must say......it works just fine and I was very pleased with the results.

EDIT:

I now see that I can do batch conversion and renaming all in one operation, and have several options for the format of the saved files and for various tweaks to the images under advanced options.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 10-31-2007 at 05:46 AM.
10-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Picasa works pretty good for that as well Mike.

faststone is another good and free one.

I believe that they both have batch editing, but I usually like working on every picture individually.
They are never the same.
11-01-2007, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, the good thing is that the RAW file is still there, so if there are any photos that would benefit from individualized tender loving care it is always a simple matter to fire up the converter and tend to it hands-on.

Until last night I didn't even realize that IrfanView had this capability.

PEF files won't display unless one chooses the "*.* All Files" option from the pull-down menu.
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I discovered it while looking at some of my photographs with their thumbnail viewer about a year ago.

Irfanview is a nice program, although I don't have it on my machine any more.
I just prefer a couple of other programs, my present choice being ACDSEE