Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Freeware/Opensource Printing Software

Unfortunately my new machine is incompatible with my old Olympus P-440 printer as there aren't any Widows 7 64-bit drivers available.

As I have have a few hundred dollars worth of media there is no way I'm going to junk it, but instead I've got an old machine I'll use only for the printer.

Now I'm looking for suggestions for software to install and use to print from the other machine.

Is there anything out there that is simple and does a good job. I've looked on sourceforge and google, but I don't think I'm using the right terminology to describe what I want.

Thanks for the help.

04-27-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm a bit confused as to which machine you're referring to. Could you please label them A and B and start again? If you want to print from the PC that has Windows 7 64 bit installed, what printer will you be using? If you have an old machine with your Olympus attached, don't you already have software for that?
Is there any way to "detune" Windows 7/64 to run old 32 bit legacy software to run your Olympus?

Last edited by Wombat; 04-27-2011 at 02:16 AM.
04-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the confusion.

Machine A (main machine):

Windows 7-64bit, 24GB Ram, SSD, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc.

Unfortunately Can't talk to the Olympus P-440 printer even through compatibility modes or a virtual machine, just can't be done.

Machine B (print driver only):

Windows XP Pro. This is my wife's work laptop so I can't install anything significant, it chokes under Word and Outlook or Excel and seems to be powered by a small rodent. And I can't network it with my machine as it is locked up so tight it is crazy.

I want to be able to transfer files to this machine so I can print them from here, but I want the bare minimum possible, don't need to do much just print.
04-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You really only have 2 choices.

A. Get a new printer.
B. Pick up a thrift store computer to be a print server. Shouldn't cost more than $50.

04-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or install MS Virtual PC on System A
More at this link
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by omega leader Quote
Unfortunately my new machine is incompatible with my old Olympus P-440 printer as there aren't any Widows 7 64-bit drivers available.

As I have have a few hundred dollars worth of media there is no way I'm going to junk it, but instead I've got an old machine I'll use only for the printer.

Now I'm looking for suggestions for software to install and use to print from the other machine.

Is there anything out there that is simple and does a good job. I've looked on sourceforge and google, but I don't think I'm using the right terminology to describe what I want.

Thanks for the help.
Here is another idea.

What you could do is:
1) Install VirtualBox, download here: VirtualBox
2) Create a Windows XP system inside
3) Install the Vbox extensions
4) Make a share inside your XP system to the pictures directory of your Win7 system
5) Map the USB port of the old printer to the XP system in Vbox
6) Print in the XP / Vbox virtual machine

Perhaps it helps.

I use Virtual box to run XP, Vista, Ubuntu and Chrome OS on my Windows 7 64-bit system.
It comes very handy in many occasions.
For instance:
  • I use the Linux environment for Tar archives and other Linux stuff.
  • Also I do a lot of testing of downloaded s/w inside virtual box.
    - For that, first I make make sure the file systems are seperated
    - Then I make a snapshot of the vm before the software install.
    - Install the software...
    - Run several virus checkers
    - If anything is found, I shutdown the vm and return to the snapshot.. all bad stuff gone
  • Use it to run software that is not Windows 7 compliant.

You can find ready to install xp torrents that will enable you to skip the lengthy xp installation & config process.
Make sure to read the networking stuff of the user manual.

Cheers, Bert
05-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

What you are looking for is a driver, and as you say there isn't one for that printer for W7x64.

When you say 'media' I think you mean paper, and I'm sure that your stock of paper can be used and produce satisfactory results in newer dye sublimation inkjet printers. Of course if you mean 'ink' then no, the cartridges (ribbons) will be specific to that and maybe a few similar printer models.

However I don't believe you can't make the W7 PC talk to the printer using a virtual machine. If you got the Pro version you can download (free) the MS virtual machine that sets up an XP system on your PC. My own experience with using it to run software (arkware) that refuses to install on Vista and W7 is nothing but positive. It also has no problem attaching and releasing USB devices.

If you start downloading XP from torrent sites beware - I suspect it's a very easy way to import nasties you really don't want on your PC.