Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
Joyen's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Trondheim, Norway
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 35
The new Topaz Lens Effects now available.

You can create the look of bokeh, tilt shift, fish eye, graduated filters and many more.
Introductory price $49.99 until May 27.
What do you think? is it anything you would purcase?

http://www.topazlabs.com


Last edited by Joyen; 05-06-2011 at 12:19 PM.
05-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by Joyen Quote
You can create the look of bokeh, tilt shift, fish eye, graduated filters and many more.
Introductory price $49.99 until May 27.
What do you think? is it anything you would purcase?
I really like Denoise. I bought their suite when it was on a special MacUpdate for $49 (for Clean, Adjust, Denoise, DeJPG, Simplify, and Detail). I use DeNoise a LOT. I may spring for InFocus because it's got an insanely good sharpener. I'd go with InFocus over Lens Effects, I think, but I like the Topaz tools I've got.
05-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member
abmj's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central California
Posts: 600
I am probably not going to spring for it unless they offer a lower cost upgrade for the full suite, which I have already purchased.
05-07-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I really like Denoise. I bought their suite when it was on a special MacUpdate for $49 (for Clean, Adjust, Denoise, DeJPG, Simplify, and Detail). I use DeNoise a LOT. I may spring for InFocus because it's got an insanely good sharpener. I'd go with InFocus over Lens Effects, I think, but I like the Topaz tools I've got.
Hmmm, I have InFocus and use it mainly for deconvolution sharpening immediately after raw conversion. For this purpose, it is quite useful. Many of the user reports that I have read consider the output sharpening to be very weak. For that, I use Nik Sharpener Pro 3, which is really a great program.

Rob

05-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Hmmm, I have InFocus and use it mainly for deconvolution sharpening immediately after raw conversion. For this purpose, it is quite useful. Many of the user reports that I have read consider the output sharpening to be very weak. For that, I use Nik Sharpener Pro 3, which is really a great program.

Rob
I really like Nik Silver Efex (best b&w converter IMO), but I'm not fond of their sharpener.
05-08-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I really like Nik Silver Efex (best b&w converter IMO), but I'm not fond of their sharpener.
I really love Silver Efex Pro 2. I had been using Capture One 6 for B&W conversions, because it has an excellent module for that purpose, but SEP 2 now reigns supreme. I am puzzled that you do not like Nik's Sharpener Pro 3, because I find that it does an excellent job with minimal effort. Maybe it's the minimal effort part that most appeals to me. I have never enjoyed the technical minutiae of sharpening.

Rob
05-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I really love Silver Efex Pro 2. I had been using Capture One 6 for B&W conversions, because it has an excellent module for that purpose, but SEP 2 now reigns supreme. I am puzzled that you do not like Nik's Sharpener Pro 3, because I find that it does an excellent job with minimal effort. Maybe it's the minimal effort part that most appeals to me. I have never enjoyed the technical minutiae of sharpening.

Rob
Maybe I should look at it again; it's been some time. When I *really* care about an image, I do a lot of juggling in Photoshop, but I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who notices the difference. I've not seen SP3 - truth be told, I think it's probably BEEN three version since I looked at Nik's sharpener. I'm not certain what version of SE I'm using (It's at home, and I'm in a hotel room) but I love the film emulation. It nails Tri-X and Pan-X and Plus-X dead on, I think. At least the conversions look like I remember them looking

05-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Wherever Iím Parked
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,002
I'm not so sure I'd be that interested in Lens Effects, I just don't think I'd be processing my pictures that way. Well, perhaps some sort of bokeh ability (smoothing oof backgrounds when it's jittery) would be nice, but otherwise I'm just not sure I would use it. I love the other Topaz Labs plug-ins, use Detail for sharpening mostly, sometimes InFocus (enough that I don't regret buying it) along with DeNoise.

I didn't care all that much for Nik's Sharpener, perhaps I didn't really find the right settings. However, I agree that Silver Efex Pro 2 is incredible, it's such great fun.
05-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 267
The NIK tools are great but only to a certain extent (mostly when you are out of ideas). As far as these Topaz lens effects are concerned: they all seem very cheap to me. You can re-create most of them in Photoshop where you probably have more control anyway.
12-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
cdurfor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 581
Picked up Lens Effects last nite when it went on sale for $29. Anyway additional comments about Pros or Cons? (Yes, I also ready use Topaz Denoise, Sharpener and Adjust)...
12-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,901
I have these. Got them for my birthday last year. I might spring for an upgrade if it's reasonable. Might be worth it. I like Topaz a lot.
12-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
JHD
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,406
Upgrades should be free as Topaz has yet to charge me anything for all the upgrades I have done. Just use your existing key/license to open the latest version.
12-16-2011, 07:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member
ivoire's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,381
There effects are very good and they usually give you free up grades. Its still on sale.

Topaz Lens Effects - Only $29.99!

Don't forget, if you want to add Lens Effects to your Topaz collection, you have until 12/24/11 to take advantage of the special Lens Effects savings. To get Lens Effects for only $29.99 just enter: "simplefocus" when purchasing - that's an instant $50 savings. Act now and experience a whole new way to enhance your creative focus.

Buy thru the forum link:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/97599-free-ma...opaz-labs.html
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
photography, photoshop, topaz lens effects
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What effects is this? PNTXFTW12 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 8 09-02-2010 09:35 AM
Help with lighting effects?? Sara Hanna Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 08-07-2010 01:55 PM
Effects of TC on aperture? Kguru Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 24 08-02-2010 02:20 PM
Topaz Adjust 4 cool effects guillermovilas Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 1 07-16-2010 06:18 PM
Effects of adapting lens? smcook99 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 04-10-2010 09:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top