Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photoshop tuition book?

I've been doing a bit of PP now using PS. I only have an older version (PS6) which I used to get a bit of a handle on the thing.
Me, being a little naive when it comes to computers, I find, other than fairly basic operations I am not coping with some of the more complex adjustments.
I would seriously like to upgrade my PS to a more recent program.
Does anyone out there have a suggestion of a good, easy to follow volume that would be of assistance to a noob on Photoshop.
I find many of the tuitional programs assume you have a fairly good knowledge of computers before you start. Then again that may be necessary.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

11-03-2007, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Bruce, one of the best out there is Classroom in a Book by Adobe themselves but, there are plenty of tutorials out there that will hand-hold whilst learning.

As for software, all Photoshop has is the name (in my opinion) have you ever tried PhotoImpact by Ulead (now Corel-owned). Its a ful suite and probably much more easier to learn. Adobe BTW used the technology from Ulead and PhotoImpact.

In either of these two packages, if you need help I'm sure many of us will be able to help.
11-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that info, will most certainly check that out.
Many thanks again!
11-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

peachpit press has photoshop book, title escapes me but its a very simple and obvious title. Friend of mine who teaches photoshop recommends it as exhaustive, covering entire program, but with excellent tutorials. His words: "if you go through the book you don't need my class."

11-04-2007, 03:10 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Bruce, one of the best out there is Classroom in a Book by Adobe themselves but, there are plenty of tutorials out there that will hand-hold whilst learning.

As for software, all Photoshop has is the name (in my opinion) have you ever tried PhotoImpact by Ulead (now Corel-owned). Its a ful suite and probably much more easier to learn. Adobe BTW used the technology from Ulead and PhotoImpact.

In either of these two packages, if you need help I'm sure many of us will be able to help.
Hmm, I found a software review a few days ago that claimed PSE5 was easier to use then PhotoImpact (2nd place I think) and that Microsoft tool was 3rd place.

I guess this proves that opinions may vary since PSE5 was the Number 1 rated program (overall the best tool) and they claimed just the opposite that PhotoImpact 12 was less intuitive to use then Photoshop Elements.

I think you can get a "Trial" version of both tools so maybe a good idea to try them both and see which one is best for you ?

And back to the Tutorials, I've just stated a "study-at-home" course in Digital Photography and Image Manipulation myself and it's pretty basic in setup (course is based on PSE4 so there are a few differences between the course book any my Trial of PSE6 though) actually the course is a bit TOO basic for me at the moment since he also explains some computer basic stuff (like files) and for a guy who's using a computer since he was 6 (Commodore 64) so of the stuff is pretty obvious.

I could advise it to you but since it's in Dutch I doubt you'll have any use of it
11-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hmm, I found a software review a few days ago that claimed PSE5 was easier to use then PhotoImpact (2nd place I think) and that Microsoft tool was 3rd place.
Patrick, not sure but I don't think PSElements is the same as the CS2 and it could be that PI 12 is less intuitive - I keep using Ver 10 and 11. One thing to consider though, who did the review. Anyway, this is not a competition, I just offered Bruce MHO.
11-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hi bram........lotta good stuff out there on ps.......there are a team of guys @ NAPP_( National Association of Photoshop Professionals )...who have some great learning tools out there.....u may want to chk out their web site.......also Lynda.com, offers some free tut's......and , 'about.com'
there are deals on the web whereby you can purchase a recent version of ps, like cs2 or cs3, for far less than the MSRP, hitch is, i think, that you may not get the license key, or the registration privelage...not sure which........processing without a lic'.....OMG.........my personal preferences are cs3, lightroom, and a few plugins, like noise ninja etc......i am sure you will find what you are looking for, i had ps7, and for about 18 mos. it just sat there unused becaue i was intimidated by what appeared to be the complexity of it all....when i got ' determined '...it turned out to be a spectre!, and the turning point for me, was NAPP, and NYIP's digital photo course....good luck,

Last edited by gpaual; 11-04-2007 at 08:07 AM. Reason: spelling
11-04-2007, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey thanks a lot guys. There is quite a list of options there. I will check them out and I am sure I will find the right one for my level.
Appreciate the imput , many thanks!

# Sorry no, I cant handle Dutch at all but thanks anyway
11-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Patrick, not sure but I don't think PSElements is the same as the CS2 and it could be that PI 12 is less intuitive - I keep using Ver 10 and 11. One thing to consider though, who did the review. Anyway, this is not a competition, I just offered Bruce MHO.
Sorry, I didn't want to start a discussion about which is better (just stated that I noticed that review that had PSE and the best above PI 12 and that other program from Microsoft).

I don't even think that PS CS was in that list so I guess they were talking about entry-level software ?

anyways, I guess PSE is ineed more intuitive then PS CS3 (I did compare the trial of PSE6 with the Trial of PS CS3 and PSE6 does indeed look a lot easier to use then PS CS3).

I personally feel PSE6 is the most intuitive (I compared it with PI 12 Trial and PaintShopPro Photo X2 Trial but maybe that's just because the tutorial I'm using has PSE4 as the basis so maybe if they used PI 12 I would find that program more intuitive).

Anyways, Sorry if I sounded like trying to start a discussion on what's better software, I just wanted to point that opinions on software may vary from person to person.
11-06-2007, 12:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey, no worries to me, I am enjoying the discussion. A lot of info amid all the chat.
Thanks guys!!