Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Workflow Suggestions - LR, C1, Multiple Editors, DAM

Folks,
I'm a longtime Lightroom 3 user who is giving Capture One another trial. I'm debating several scenarios of how I can simultaneously use both applications on the same photo library. Do I make duplicate images, re-read/write metadata settings, unify or keep separate?

I'd like to get an idea of how other photographers accomplish this successfully in their workflow. I'm interested to hear from folks who use LR alongside Capture One, DxO, Aperture, etc.

Thanks

05-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm still in the process of figuring this out.

I'm running Windows, so I use Fast Picture Viewer to cull the photos, and then C1 picks up the ratings. C1 has visibly better camera profiles for Pentax (and supposedly other brands as well) so it gives you slightly better looking photos. Photoshop is still needed for some photos for layering and other features including add-on filters for de-noise, focus, and certain additional needs. C1 actually has good print output too, although Photoshop may still hold some advantages here.

Don't overlook the usefulness of the Pentax DCU - its main drawback is that it can't output the Pro Photo colorspace - it's limited to AdobeRGB at best. Although it may crash sometimes, it can give good results quickly, being specifically designed for Pentax RAW files.
05-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #3

What metadata wouldn't you want to share between LR and C1?

IIRC, in the LR3 catalog settings, if you deselect "Write Develop Settings To XMP For JPG, TIFF, And PSD" and "Automatically Write Changes Into XMP" then Lightroom will manage metadata and developing steps only in its own catalog.

If C1 has similar settings, then you should effectively be able to work on the same exact files with two totally different results for each application/catalog.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WS2D181F5C-4...E37CF33B9.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/51914111/151/XMP-read-write-options

Last edited by gooberlx; 05-10-2011 at 01:08 PM.