Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 267
Which software is the best? ACR, Lightroom, Capture...

Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a new software for processing my images (taken with the 645D). I am currently working with Photoshop CS4, Bridge and ACR 5.7.

Is there anything out there that can beat this combination? How is Lightroom 3? Has anyone had experience with Capture NX? What else is good (and pro!)?

Your advice is truly appreciated – thanks!
Alex

05-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,042
QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a new software for processing my images (taken with the 645D). I am currently working with Photoshop CS4, Bridge and ACR 5.7.

Is there anything out there that can beat this combination? How is Lightroom 3? Has anyone had experience with Capture NX? What else is good (and pro!)?

Your advice is truly appreciated – thanks!
Alex
C1 does not support 645D, CaptureNX works w/ Nikona raw files (unless you want to try it w/ .TIFFs)

Pentax has working relations w/ ISL (SilkyPix) - but SilkyPix is not famous for the very best resolving demosaicking - however you can download trial and try - SilkypixForum.com - View topic - TUTORIAL: installation and "localization" of Silkypix5 Beta
05-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,309
The choice of software depends entirely on what you photograph with your camera and what might be the intended purpose of the final image.

There is simply no alternative to replace Photoshop, when it comes to produce final output of professional quality for colour printing (or even b/w printing), because you can work in 4C and duotone/triplex/quadtone etc.

But for converting the RAWs there are several options. I use mostly Adobe Lightroom, because it serves as a catalogueing and archiving application, too. But if I want to process a small number of images fast and with great control, I often use PhaseOne's CaptureOne.Quite a few people think, C1 gives the best converion results, though in my personal opinion, LR is about the same. In the past I used BibblePro. It is a great tool, but proofed unstable at times. It is the only RAW converter that used to crash frequently, I experienced. May be the current release is more stable?

Ben
05-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,685
I would stick with what you already have - but definitely do consider updgrading photoshop, as cs5 has graphics card hardware acceleration and native 64 bit support as well as greatly improved selection tools.

05-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Ben_Edict's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SouthWest "Regio"
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,309
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
C1 does not support 645D, CaptureNX works w/ Nikona raw files (unless you want to try it w/ .TIFFs)

Pentax has working relations w/ ISL (SilkyPix) - but SilkyPix is not famous for the very best resolving demosaicking - however you can download trial and try - SilkypixForum.com - View topic - TUTORIAL: installation and "localization" of Silkypix5 Beta
That is unfortunately true. But may it works, even if the 645D is not officially supported. My older C1 v5 opens K-r images, despiote the camera did not exist, when the older software was released. Has anybody tried?

Ben
05-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,558
QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a new software for processing my images (taken with the 645D). I am currently working with Photoshop CS4, Bridge and ACR 5.7.

Is there anything out there that can beat this combination? How is Lightroom 3? Has anyone had experience with Capture NX? What else is good (and pro!)?

Your advice is truly appreciated thanks!
Alex
If you are using DNG then you can pretty much use what ever you want. LR3.4 is a really good investment as far as I am concerned. Before LR3 I was looking around and playing with several other options as LR2 was just not good enough. LR3.4 does a really good job with detail and noise.

All of them are available as 30 day trials. When I was using C1 I thought it gave me the most detail, but a lot has changed since then.
05-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hamburg
Posts: 267
Original Poster
Thanks for all your thoughts – I'll probably try out Lightroom just to see the difference to the combination of ACR & Bridge.
05-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If you are using DNG then you can pretty much use what ever you want. LR3.4 is a really good investment as far as I am concerned. Before LR3 I was looking around and playing with several other options as LR2 was just not good enough. LR3.4 does a really good job with detail and noise.

All of them are available as 30 day trials. When I was using C1 I thought it gave me the most detail, but a lot has changed since then.
I'm not sure that the 645D has DNG output, but you could convert the raw files to DNG with the Pentax software or with Adobe's DNG converter. For my money, Capture One is far superior to LR/ACR, except in NR for very noisy images, which is probably not going to be a major issue with your 645D. In any event, I always recommend downloading trial versions of raw converters for head to head comparisons. That's really the best way to learn which one suits your workflow and produces the best results. It does take a while to gain proficiency, however.

Rob

05-20-2011, 05:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,223
QuoteOriginally posted by phonoline Quote
Hello all,

I am thinking of purchasing a new software for processing my images (taken with the 645D). I am currently working with Photoshop CS4, Bridge and ACR 5.7.

Is there anything out there that can beat this combination? How is Lightroom 3? Has anyone had experience with Capture NX? What else is good (and pro!)?

Your advice is truly appreciated thanks!
Alex
A friend of mine who recently bought 645D told me LR doesn't work properly with its raws
05-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #10
Veteran Member
KxBlaze's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,602
CS5. There are some upgrades that are worth it. Content-Aware is the most useful one.
05-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member
K-9's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,972
QuoteOriginally posted by Emacs Quote
A friend of mine who recently bought 645D told me LR doesn't work properly with its raws
645D has been supported by Lightroom since version 3.2. They are up to 3.4 now, so there shouldn't be an issue unless you have an older version.
05-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Emacs's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Moscow
Posts: 1,223
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
645D has been supported by Lightroom since version 3.2. They are up to 3.4 now, so there shouldn't be an issue unless you have an older version.
The colors are wrong. There is no problem with PEFs though.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
acr, lightroom, photography, photoshop, software
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capture One Pro vs Lightroom jboyde Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 26 11-27-2011 03:49 AM
Is Lightroom and Bridge+ACR the same? karlr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 7 07-19-2010 04:01 PM
Pentax K-x camera calibration profile (ACR & Lightroom) switters Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 03-01-2010 12:47 PM
ACR vs. PS4 capture sharpening FHPhotographer Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 11-13-2009 09:03 AM
What RAW capture software do you like? quantum Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 20 07-18-2009 07:57 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top