Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 06:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

How do you export photos for the web?

I'd like to ask which kind of tasks you perform before exporting and publishing a photo.

Basically, what I do is exporting the image downsizing it with lightroom to 1200 pixels in jpg format, then I open it and I apply some sharpen with photoshop. The most of the times I use the smart sharpen method or the high pass filter.

What about you? Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you
Andrea

05-12-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

I usualy do no sharpening. When downsizing I choose "bicubic sharpen", it seems to be quite enough. And then I choose "save for web and devices", and it seems to make the picture still sharper.
05-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Where on the web are you using it? 1200 pixels is rather wide for a lot of screens (especially since a lot of us don't run the browser in full screen mode) - 1024 or even 800 is more user-friendly for a lot of people.

I start with a PEF, 'develop' it in ACR, save as a 16-bit PSD, do any more necessary work, save the PSD, then I resize it, check the sharpening, use a bit of smart sharpen if necessary, change the mode to 8-bit and finally save as JPG. But yes, images often need no sharpening after resizing as that in itself sharpens slightly.
05-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, I just export my photos from Lightroom with the following settings:

- Format: JPEG
- Quality: 85
- Colour Space: sRGB
- Resize to fit: Long edge, either 1024, 800, or 600 pixels depending on where I'm planning to upload the photos to
- Sharpen for: screen, Amount: Standard

I've found that it works for me. Note that Lightroom pretty much does everything I need to do to my photos, such as tagging metadata, photo editing, organisation, renaming, watermarking, etc, and exporting as jpeg is the last step in my workflow.

05-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Where on the web are you using it? 1200 pixels is rather wide for a lot of screens (especially since a lot of us don't run the browser in full screen mode) - 1024 or even 800 is more user-friendly for a lot of people.
My own assumption is that it is going to be resized again (automatically) on upload. Works that way for most major photo sharing sites. Back when I tried to manage my own site, I also generated versions in various smaller sizes still, including thumbs. But I still like starting with a 1200x1800 for my own usage. I call them "proofs". Big enough to view full screen and then some, big enough to generate 4x6 prints at 300dpi, more than big enough for web use (again, I assume it will be downsized automatically, and it is on all sites I use), but small enough I can reasonably keep proofs for all my keepers (say, 50% of my images) on my laptop harddrive forever. For most images, this 1200x1800 proof is the only copy of the image I'll ever need to access regularly. The original PEF can be safely archived away, as could any full size derivatives (TIFF, etc) that I might have needed to generate during the editing process.