Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens profiles for old glass

Has anyone using photoshop tried to develop amlens profile for legacy glass to correct , for example, lateral CA?

I am wondering how well it works. It may be the final straw in leaving corel PSP X3

05-16-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use custom settings for certain unsupported lenses, lateral CA is easy to fix in LR3 - though it can be difficult if you use many older lenses - because their names won't appear in the EXIF and different lenses require different treatment for optical faults so you will be applying the settings manually. I have had to do some tedious work with some of my more exotic lenses on my Leica M9 thankfully, the M9 natively supports DNG
05-16-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.

What I am considering is setting up profiles for my MF lenses using Adobe's lens profile software. I would for example, establish a consistant format for the naming of the lens, and then edit the exif data of the shots to represent those lenses and the nomenclature, so that the profiles would then match the lenses in exif.

THe principle reason is to have automatic correction for some lenses, for example, I would put correction for my samyang 14mm F2.8 to take care of barrel distortion (really all that is wrong with the lens) and would like to see how it works with lateral CA that is present on my Sigma mini wide 28F2.8 to see if that lens can have the photos recovered (it really suck's)

the same would be true, for example to try correcting those cheap .5x wide angle adaptors etc..

But I would love to know if someone has tried these things before I go out and spend a lot on the image editor.
05-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
just to add a little update.

I played with pentax digital camera utility 4 and the lens correction tab.

Aside from being a little slow (note I am using an 8 year old computer, time for an upgrade I think) I found the Lateral CA tool quite interesting.

I used it to look at some shots taken with my sigma Mini-Wide 28/2.8 which is well known for lateral CA issues. Using the correction was very simple, which has me thinking about looking at using it with some of the cheap wide angle adaptors.

The only issue I find is that I need to remember the correction as there is no means to set up a lens data base and apply the same correction when wanted.

Aside from adobe products, are there any other image editors out there that can make use of the lens profiles?

05-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
there is DxO, I would be surprised if Bibble didn't have tools to correct for it.
05-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
What I am really looking for is an editor that can use saved profiles, ideally adobe ones
05-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Has anyone using photoshop tried to develop amlens profile for legacy glass to correct , for example, lateral CA?

I am wondering how well it works. It may be the final straw in leaving corel PSP X3
tbh. I don't think its possible to create a usable profile for manual lenses due to the nature of how CA is calculated and corrected. However... if its any consolation, most CA is usually quite easy to address/fix and the tougher stuff like PF can be worked through using application/plugins such as Helicon Filter and Power Retouch Pro etc. But those are extremes imo. and in most cases a few tweaks in PS is all it takes to make things right.

PS. if you shoot RAW and use a developer like ACR or LR, you also get a great headstart with the lens correction module. Which is usually enough to make cleaning-up quite effortless in post.

Hope this helps.
JohnB

PS. there are quite a few people who feel as though OOF CA(CA in bokeh/highlights) is impossible to fix, but it is very easy to fix in PS too.

05-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I just purchased Lightroom 3 recently and it has that feature but I haven't had time to really play with it. The book I purchased mentions the Adobe Lens Profile Creator and has several pages of how to use it. It mentions that CS5 users can share profiles which might save somebody a lot of work. Shared profiles aren't available in Lightroom yet.
05-18-2011, 03:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
From the responses I am not sure whether everyone has really looked into CA correction and how it functions on different editors

I use PSP X3 and it's CA tool let's you pick a region for the color to correct and a radius in pixels to correct over. While this removes fringing especially in OOF areas it does not address sharpness

I played with the pentax photo lab 4 the other day and it seems to work differently, by rescaling the image in each of the three primary colors to make them better align improving overall sharpness that would otherwise be lost in the image due to lateral CA for subjects that should be in focus

Having made this observation I plan to do some more testing but I think this is what the adobe lens profile creator does. Specifically make a profile that when used actually improves the IQ
05-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I haven't used it yet but plan to. It's just been a couple of weeks since I bought Lightroom. I'm still learning the basics. A lot of my old glass is CA prone and one of the reasons I bought Lightroom was for better PP results in that area. It's also been horrible weather and I haven't been shooting much so not too much incentive to use this feature yet either.