Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Bogen 22A Special enlarger... Anyone know about them?

Hey folks, I recently got a print enlarger from ebay. Its a Bogen 22A Special... Does anyone know what lens will work on these... Anybody used to use, or still use one of these enlargers...? Anyone know what size contrast filter it takes? .... or anything I should know? Thanks for any help!

::Note to Mods::

I reposted this in the film forum hoping it would get more views.... Sorry for the double post, feel free to delete the post in "Everything Else"

11-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
Inactive Account

It has been a long time since I did any developing and printing, but maybe I can get you started.

If I remember correctly the Bogen 22A Special is a black-and-white enlarger. Any standard enlarger lens should work fine although I would stay with a name brand that you recognize. Since you do not have to worry about movement you do not need a fast lens. These are available on eBay.

You should not use a black-and-white enlarger head, for color.
Simply adding filters to a black-and-white enlarger is not sufficient to make color prints.

The light temperature is not high enough to give proper color rendition. You can however use a color enlarger for black-and-white prints. The color enlarger also has three built-in filters that allows you to correct the color of the print.

There are several other items that you will need.

A timer preferably a digital but a standard clock timer will do.

A focusing unit, this allows you to see the grain of the negative at the point of focus. When the grain is in sharp focus your print will be in focus.

A set of developing trays, preferably plastic.

For black-and-white a safe light, so you can see what you're doing.

And above all a dark room large enough that you can work in, preferably with a stainless steel sink. Stand in the room that you intend to work in for several minutes in the dark. Make sure there is no light coming into the room. Seal up any light leaks. It must be absolutely dark.

I also suggest you get a copy of the Kodak Darkroom Dataguide,
There is one for color, and one for black-and-white.

There is also several good books on the subject.

I hope this helps.

joe1955
09-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #3

Lenses for Bogen 22A Enlarer

I also have a Bogen 22A Enlarger which is currently missing the light head. It is available for use or parts as well as 2 lenses which I have for it.
09-27-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would think that most 50mm enlarging lenses would work on that enlarger. I liked the El Nikkor lenses when I was doing darkroom. The Schneiders seemed to inhale dust.

09-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whoops. Old post brought up.

Welcome aboard, though, TRJohn. I don't believe I've seen 'Pentaxbling' around, in a while, though, if you're trying to help them.

I don't know if anyone's looking for enlarging lenses, but maybe there's someone. An incomplete enlarger like that might not be worth the shipping, but you could convert a simple one like that into a pretty nice copy stand for Ebay sellers to photograph their wares with, ...if we lived closer I could probably say, 'Eh, I'd probably find use for the other parts sooner or later.' )

Of course, if either of those lenses says 'Rodenstock' on there.. (whistle whistle. )
09-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, poo -- I completely missed the fact that this thread had been summoned from antiquity. On to other things...
09-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I would think that most 50mm enlarging lenses would work on that enlarger. I liked the El Nikkor lenses when I was doing darkroom. The Schneiders seemed to inhale dust.
My Schneider 50mm Componon-S is still clean as a whistle (~ 25 yrs old) . As noted, most 50mm enlarging lenses should work. The majority of lens boards are cut to accept 39 mm LTM lenses and most lenses conform to that standard.

Steve
09-28-2009, 01:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Yes, a basic but very good enlarger
I have one and do not use it often since I moved form US to Europe

It can take negatives up to 6x6 and provides good image quality and even illumination.
The lens board is fixed, onyl for 39mm threaded lenses. Invest in a good lens it is worht it.
Get a couple of spare lightbulbs, since incandescents are/will be banned but the frosted halogens work OK.

I do not remember the size of the filters, but the standard zone VII and the Ilfords fit well in the drawer.
The Ilford gels filters needed to be cut to fit the notch, no problem though

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxbling Quote
Hey folks, I recently got a print enlarger from ebay. Its a Bogen 22A Special... Does anyone know what lens will work on these... Anybody used to use, or still use one of these enlargers...? Anyone know what size contrast filter it takes? .... or anything I should know? Thanks for any help!

::Note to Mods::

I reposted this in the film forum hoping it would get more views.... Sorry for the double post, feel free to delete the post in "Everything Else"

09-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by joe1955 Quote

You should not use a black-and-white enlarger head, for color.
Simply adding filters to a black-and-white enlarger is not sufficient to make color prints.

The light temperature is not high enough to give proper color rendition. You can however use a color enlarger for black-and-white prints. The color enlarger also has three built-in filters that allows you to correct the color of the print.

joe1955
I use to use my Omega Type D for color all the time. Never had a problem.