Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Newbie BiCubic resizing question

Hi All,

Here is my situation. Last year my wife and I spent a year living in India (her native country) During that time photography wasn't nearly as important to me as now. I did manage to take a couple nice shots out of the 7,000 or so I took during the year. However I was using a Canon A70 which is only 3.1 megapixels. I really like one of the photos and would like to blow it up, but at least on the computer the resolution is pretty crap at even the %100 size. I've heard that there is something called Bicubic (sp?) resizing that can be done in the PP process that allows smaller megapixel photos to be enlarged more clearly. Can anyone school me on what this is and if I'm on the right track? Thanks!

11-09-2007, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Digital photos begin their life as (or from) a mathematical interpolation. Essentially d-photos are rows and columns of numbers. Soo, they are uniquely positioned to be re-interpolated. Bi-cubic interpolation is one such interpolation i.e. one such mathematical schema.

If your 'blow-up' needs are small, say less than 11by14 inches, you could 'stair-step a series of bi-cubic interpolation based re-sizings to get the necessary file. Google stair-step enlargment. It can be accomplished quite easily in Photoshop. There are even some add-ins (scripts, etc) that do the deed automatically.

If your needs are more grandiose, a dedicated resizer along the lines of the Genuine Fractals product might be more productive.

QuoteOriginally posted by anthropas Quote
Hi All,

Here is my situation. Last year my wife and I spent a year living in India (her native country) During that time photography wasn't nearly as important to me as now. I did manage to take a couple nice shots out of the 7,000 or so I took during the year. However I was using a Canon A70 which is only 3.1 megapixels. I really like one of the photos and would like to blow it up, but at least on the computer the resolution is pretty crap at even the %100 size. I've heard that there is something called Bicubic (sp?) resizing that can be done in the PP process that allows smaller megapixel photos to be enlarged more clearly. Can anyone school me on what this is and if I'm on the right track? Thanks!
11-10-2007, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a method i learned in school some time ago whereby you can scan the image to your hd (assuming you have a physical photo ) at the most optimum resolution for the size image you want to print.....your output dpi should match the optimum output resolution of your printer ( which i might add, manafactures are hard pressed to inform you of.......i once did this and contacted epson support tech, and no one there after 3 attempts could tell me the answer i finally connected with a friend who advised an optimum output at around 240-260 dpi.....i do have a chart for these settings, but not with me so i can't post it for you, but you may search around on the web on scanning techniques......gl....there are many theories re' the bicubic thing, some say to upsize, use the bicubic smoother option which is what ps recommends, other 'experts say simply leave it at bicubic.....? like all things, investigation yeilds the best results