Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photodirector 11 - beta and free offer

Has anyone tried this yet? What are your thoughts?

For those that aren't aware if tou try the beta before June 20 and provide feedback then you get thr rleased version for free (RRP $99). PhotoDirector 2011 Beta Version ? Professional Quality Photo Editing Software

I can't say I'm overly impressed by it but YMMV. It's worth a try.

06-13-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I loaded it and liked it, but the day after I loaded it it crashed. I found that I liked the ease of use of the controls so much that I decided to revert my computer back to factory defaults just so I could use the program again. I loaded it and uploaded all my photos. It worked for a day and crashed again.

Nice program, but prone to crashing.
06-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I am using it for more that a week, no crashe. like it very much. I am using Windows 7
06-19-2011, 05:10 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried it for a couple of days, but I don't want to pay for this basic type of software. It has to less options and no difference from free software.

Corros' Photo Blog: Cyberlink Photodirector beta

06-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have tried it too. It works OK and is quite pleasantly fast, but it is limited in what it can do. My main issue with the software is that it also adds nothing new/useful/powerful to the table over the commercial and freeware software I already use - DCU4, LR, Elements, DXO, Faststone, Hugin etc.

It's interesting to see that it's interface is a total clone of Lightroom's. Adobe probably won't be amused.
06-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I have tried it too. It works OK and is quite pleasantly fast, but it is limited in what it can do. My main issue with the software is that it also adds nothing new/useful/powerful to the table over the commercial and freeware software I already use - DCU4, LR, Elements, DXO, Faststone, Hugin etc.

It's interesting to see that it's interface is a total clone of Lightroom's. Adobe probably won't be amused.
I think Cyberlink will start in this business. And I don't think it's a bad start, but the software has nothing new. But for the price, it's a great piece of non-destructive RAW conversion. That's new about it!
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM   #7

Tried last week.
I think is just fine, too similar to lightroom if you ask me.

With my k-r, the PEF file looks underexposed and the colors were dull, but using DNG (from camera) the exposure is just right and the color seems to be a little more saturated

06-22-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
hueseo

why i can't install it on OS win 7, pls help me
06-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I had it installed on my windows 7 64bit, no problems til I tried using it and then tried to save my work. It said I needed to pay or close the program. I closed it, and uninstalled it.
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I had it installed on my windows 7 64bit, no problems til I tried using it and then tried to save my work. It said I needed to pay or close the program. I closed it, and uninstalled it.
Possibly because the trial ate is up. Ended on 20th.
06-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill_R Quote
Possibly because the trial ate is up. Ended on 20th.
Nope. I downloaded it the same day you put the link up. Installed it, and started using it, went to save my work at the same time I was using it on the same day. That's when it said I had to buy it to save my work.

This isn't the first Beta software I have used.
06-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
Nope. I downloaded it the same day you put the link up. Installed it, and started using it, went to save my work at the same time I was using it on the same day. That's when it said I had to buy it to save my work.

Odd. Must be a different build or a trial instead of the same beta. I have no option to save but easily export the adjusted photo. Have had prompts to backup the database of adjustments but that's all. Possibly they implemented that in a later build to use as a "trial".
06-29-2011, 06:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got the email this morning with my free official download and key. I will check it out this evening
06-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I got the email this morning with my free official download and key. I will check it out this evening
ditto. I just installed it and can't see any changes. I think a few bugs have been fixed.
Installation of RTM offers to uninstall the beta and preserves everything you had there which is good. There is now a support forum.
I've noticed that if you purchase the 2011 version you get a free uograde to the 2012 version so that must be in the making.