Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photoshop CS5 Extended

Earlier this year, I bought CS5. Since I had previously purchased PSE 5.0, Adobe saw fit to let me have CS5 at a reduced price... All well and good.

A couple of months back, I got an e-mail from Adobe informing me that, because I had recently purchased Photoshop CS5, I was entitled to a free upgrade to CS5.5.

CS5.5 had nothing in it to improve Photoshop CS5 so Adobe informed me that they wouldn't be sending me CS5.5 after all.

fast forward (after that brief history statement)

A week ago, Adobe sends me an e-mail that informs me that since their free upgrade to 5.5 didn't benefit me, they were now going to send me CS5 "Extended" for free.

FedEx delivered it today.

When it comes to software (and other things) I'm a complete idiot.

Someone who knows, please tell me.

Is CS5 Extended merely an upgrade to CS5??? Or, is it a complete stand alone program that supercedes CS5 ????

Help?????

06-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extended provides additioanl 3D editing tools and a few other specialized features.

Point by point from Adobe.

More digestible comparison by ProDesign.
06-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, good deal for you!
06-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe it's a stand alone program because I bought CS5 Extended and did not see and option to just buy the features offered in the extended version to add onto CS5.

06-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
CS5 Extended does add new 3D tool and other items that may not be too helpful for someone editing photos. Go out the CS5 web site to see what is included in CS5 Extended.
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ed n Georgia Quote
Earlier this year, I bought CS5. Since I had previously purchased PSE 5.0, Adobe saw fit to let me have CS5 at a reduced price... All well and good.

A week ago, Adobe sends me an e-mail that informs me that since their free upgrade to 5.5 didn't benefit me, they were now going to send me CS5 "Extended" for free.
I had the same exact thing happen to me. Although I have yet to receive the copy of CS5.5 Extended. It's nice Adobe care enough to stand by what they say.

From what I have heard, Extended primarily adds 3D modeling and video editing capabilities. I remember watching a tutorial on how to mosaic someones face in a video using CS5 Extended.
06-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, upon further inspection of the package, it is an upgrade to CS5. You have to have the original serial numbers from the CS5 purchase to install it.

Seem that the biggest enhancement is in the "3D" area. I have enough trouble with "2D" so I'm not sure it will add anything useful. So, I may or may not install the upgrade.