Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Adobe - Help...

Here's what I'm hoping someone can answer/help me with.

My "main" computer is where I do most of my photo editing.
But I will be taking a big trip this summer and want to be able to do some on the road. I have a MacBook Air for this purpose.

I have an old (legal) copy of CS2. I figured this would be a good compromise since CS4 or 5 might be a bit of a hog on the laptop. I also bought a copy of the latest PSE to try, but since it doesn't offer the adjustment layers I like to use (B&W and Curves), I decided that CS2 might be a better option.

However, ACR on CS2 is missing some sliders... namely vibrance and clarity. GRRRR!

Is there a way to use the later ACR that came with PSE with the older CS2?

I gotta say... I absolutely hate the way Adobe parses things out like this and forces you to upgrade. Don't even get me started on that topic...

(and I did try Aperture, but it was too hoggy on the MBA. I thought about Lightroom, but really don't want to spend the money... and I'm not sure if it does adjustment layers? or how it would run on MBA. PSE would have been perfect if it just had a curves adjustment layer... and yes, I got the PSE+ plugin, but it's not at all the same as adjustment layer. I even tried Pixelmator... but same issue. No adjustment layers).

Help?

06-15-2011, 07:41 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest waiting until you get home to do your real editing. Maybe load the old CS2 or Pentax's RAW editor on the notebook so you can view your images on the road. IMO, spend your time taking the shots not editing. Unless you are planning to send some off as part of your job and could get paid for your efforts.
06-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oh, trust me, most of my editing will happen at home once the trip is over... but I know I'll want to at least do my "Picture-A-Day" while on the road, to keep up with it.

I think I'm going to end up stuck with either the inferior RAW tools of CS2 or the inferior editing of PSE. Seems ACR from PSE will just not work with CS2. The only other option I can see is to download the Lightroom trial before I go, so I can use it for at least it's RAW power. Talk about frustrating.
06-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Adobe products come with two activations, so I'd probably want to try installing whatever it is you use on your workstation on your laptop (cs4?, cs5?) before writing it off out of hand.

Last edited by kxr4trids; 06-19-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: after brief investigation, removed suggestion to look at a piece of crap software
06-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can also get a lot of what you're looking in terms of the B&W sliders by using your levels and channels right. I'd check out a tutorial or two on using those before you go and just use the CS2. Using a later version on an older laptop can really bog you down. Clarity that's more of a problem because that really is a CR thing not a Photoshop thing per se.

Depending upon where you are going you might be able to hit a copy shop and rent a computer for an hour and most of them will have the latest version of Photoshop. Might be a better option for you than investing too much time into doing corrections on a laptop which isn't ideal anyway. Laptop color is almost never as deep as desktop color and the small screen can give you eye strain if you really need to sit there and post process for a while...

When I travel I rarely post process a lot on the road actually unless it's at a Kinko's or something. A quick look and crop with a laptop, that's one thing, but I hate doing major post process work on a laptop. I miss my bigger screen and it's great color way too much, and I usually find myself redoing the post processing on it anyway because I just don't think what I did on the laptop is nearly as nice...
06-20-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Clarity that's more of a problem because that really is a CR thing not a Photoshop thing per se.
FYI: The "Clarity" slider in ACR is an adjustable version of Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask with the % set really low (like 15%) and the Radius set really high (like 60 pixels). Vary those two and you'll get the same results that the Clarity slider provides... except that you do it after you've opened the raw file in CS2. Vibrance, OTOH, is field-saturation, which is hard to replicate in CS2 with normal saturation controls.
06-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If the trip is less than 30 days, all the Adobe stuff has a 30 day free trial. Then your only problem is selecting something that runs reasonably fast on your Macbook.

I think you can work with the software you have by using PSE to open the RAW file in 16 bit mode, make your ACR adjustments, then when you get to the Editor part, save the image as a 16 bit TIFF (or PSD if it's compatible with CS2). Then open that in CS2.
06-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It is basically, except for the fact that in CR CS5 it's supposed to be non-destructive editing which isn't the case in Photoshop itself with those sliders. You can get basically the same thing going but realize it's best done on a copy and not the original because you can't go backwards in CS2 the way you can in CR CS5 with the clarity sliders. PS got a little less destructive in later versions but CS2 still isn't nearly as good as CS5 in that respect.

(I've used Photoshop from V4 actually and have Adobe training there so just an FYI, I'm taking from personal experience with several versions of the program.)

I do most of my basic correcting on a copy in CR these days, and then only go to things I can't really do in CR in Photoshop.

The OP is talking Photoshop CS2 and just because you can do that in Photoshop CS2 doesn't mean you really should. You always have to be a lot more careful about how much post processing you're doing in Photoshop particularly as you go back versions.

This is one reason I really have come to love working in CS5 and CR actually. The ability to be able to edit all I want and not to have to worry so much about not being able to undo it is great. I still use a copy, but that's more because of habit these days. I liked the earlier CS versions, CS2 was nice actually and there are some things about it that I miss, but eventually CS4 and later CS5 they grew on me...

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
FYI: The "Clarity" slider in ACR is an adjustable version of Filter > Sharpen > Unsharp Mask with the % set really low (like 15%) and the Radius set really high (like 60 pixels). Vary those two and you'll get the same results that the Clarity slider provides... except that you do it after you've opened the raw file in CS2. Vibrance, OTOH, is field-saturation, which is hard to replicate in CS2 with normal saturation controls.

06-20-2011, 01:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've decided I'll likely stick with Elements and a trial version of CS5 if I have to.
06-21-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I second this - Clarity is not necessary when you have the above method. I'd just add that you should do it on a separate layer and do a custom blend - split (Alt-click) the left slider for a range of between, say, 5 and 70 and the right slider between, say, 180 and 250. Then tweak with Preview selected to see the effect. This, plus adjusting the opacity of the layer, gives you much more control than Clarity.