Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2007, 08:24 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
there was never a question from me about right click versus control-click, or using my usb mouse. i mentioned that in the first post, but thanks. point there is, if im using the macbook, it is not as simple as just using a pc laptop mousepad....

also mentioned the mac was gotten in aug, so i can try but i doubt id be that lucky....id still rather just use a pc for windows.....

11-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own both platforms and have Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom for both. They do exactly the same thing on both machines so I would say that both do photography post processing about the same. No difference in the process itself.

There is one difference in that my Macbook Pro is faster than any PC I have ever used. Processing 16 bit per channel, 10 MP, 100 MB images goes much smoother on my Mac. Windows Vista Magazine recently named the Macbook Pro as the machine that runs Vista the fastest.

There are several advantages to both platforms, but since that was not the original question I won't go in to it.
11-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #33
Veteran Member

What happened to Mac hardware superiority?

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
(snip) There is one difference in that my Macbook Pro is faster than any PC I have ever used. (snip)

Since your MacBook Pro is fundamentally a PC (with one or two proprietary chips) running the Mac graphics user interface over a Unix-based operating system, that statement is an oxymoron in itself. Your MacBook with standard internal PC hardware cannot be faster than any other similarly equipped PC using the same Intel Core 2 Duo processor, NVIDIA GeForce graphics controller, and so on.

By the way (and not addressed to you specifically), I remember Apple's many claims (and similar by Mac users) just a year or two ago (and for years prior to that) about the superiority of Mac hardware (Motorola processor, Apple chips, etc) over PC hardware. Since that Mac hardware was supposed to be faster, more reliable, and so on (as was claimed), one has to wonder why Apple switched to PC hardware for the Mac. Could it be those claims about Mac hardware superiority were patently false all along? The only other possible explination is that they've now switched to inferior hardware, selling it at the same premium prices to suckers willing to pay that much.

stewart
11-17-2007, 01:10 PM   #34
Forum Member

Stewart, I think that you probably know one of the reasons for Apple switching to Intel CPUs. The PowerPC (Motorola/IBM) roadmap for low power consumption, low heat CPUs did not exist. There was no way a G5 CPU was ever going into a laptop. If the laptop side of your business is your most profitable, and your primary CPU vendor cannot deliver what you need, then you need to switch vendors. A pretty simple business decision.

And I'm sure that an Intel chip was (and still is) way cheaper than a Motorla/IBM chip ever was based on volume purchase.