Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
looking for ways to add film grain in PP

Anyone got experience in this field?? I am using PS and Color Efex pro.
The result I get with Color FX looks ok on screen, but I havenīt tried to print them yet.
The photos will be printed on photopaper (not inkjet).

So, what do you use for adding filmgrain??

06-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someone on another forum had scanned a raw negative so just the grain showed up. In other words, it was a blank frame.

I have the JPG...somewhere It was Fuji 400 B&W something. Neopan maybe? Very grainy, although fairly fine.

But anyway, use a layer mask in PS and adjust the opacity to suit. Since the negative scan has some bubbles from development, you may want to either rotate/mirror it or stamp them out entirely or every picture will have the same elements in the same place.

I can try and dig it up if you'd like, or perhaps someone on here has done something similar with other films. This is the most convincing way to do it, for me, though I want to see what other options are out there

Since you have Efex, isn't there a plugin called "Silver Efex" or something? Or is that just for B&W?
06-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My method is very simple: whenever I want to go for a grainy look, I just add HSV noise. Presumably Photoshop has an effect like this, but I wouldn't know since my budget and hobbyist status dictates that I use GIMP. I just mess with the H/S/V sliders until I get what I want.
06-17-2011, 11:19 AM   #4

you want grain?

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

Don't know if you have used Picasa, but I love it for adding some quick grain and other effects. I do most of my editing in Lightroom and then export as a Jpg. Pull the pics up in Picasa and it's a great place to sort through finished photos as slideshows. You can also make collages and geotag.

06-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nik Silver Efex and Alien Skin Exposure both incorporate grain effects, at a price. More affordable and still very controllable is PhotoKit Sharpener, now in its second version. It can create grain on separate layers that you can adjust for opacity (and therefore strength of effect). Works quite well, especially for breaking up nasty digital artifacts such as jpeg noise etc.
06-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
thanks everybody!

Ryan s: the scanned negative sounds interesting. It would be great if you had the time to dig it up!

Silver FX is a separate app, I only got Color FX at the moment. But as I said, it looks ok on screen...
06-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Found it faster than expected

Here is a link to the full size image. Click the link, and select "Save File" to a location you choose...it's a direct download from Ipernity (it's like Flickr and I like it more).

Be aware it's 11.5MB in size and 4600px on the long side

I believe the credit for this creation goes to Rob Leslie on Manual Focus Forum.

Looks like this at a smaller size:

06-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by debbie Quote
Anyone got experience in this field?? I am using PS and Color Efex pro.
The result I get with Color FX looks ok on screen, but I havenīt tried to print them yet.
The photos will be printed on photopaper (not inkjet).

So, what do you use for adding filmgrain??
Di you want to pay for this feature?
If not, then I guess you got plenty of helpful advice already.

However, if you really want to emulate film, scan or print grain, then I highly recommend you check-out Alien Skin Exposure. Which is quite possibly the most accurate film emulation software I've used to date.
06-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Di you want to pay for this feature?
If not, then I guess you got plenty of helpful advice already.

However, if you really want to emulate film, scan or print grain, then I highly recommend you check-out Alien Skin Exposure. Which is quite possibly the most accurate film emulation software I've used to date.
well, I paid for PS and Color fx, which I am using mostly for other stuff. I was just curios if anybody has used the effect in Color fx and what the result was.
Well, I guess I will take a look at Alien Skin also if I am not pleased with the prints later on. Thanks for the tip!

I am probably gonna use it for a job I just got. An artpiece which is gonna be put up in a hospital, and I am gonna get quite a budget for it. So I am very happy at the moment!!
06-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Found it faster than expected

Click the link, and select "Save File" to a location you choose...it's a direct download from Ipernity (it's like Flickr and I like it more).

Be aware it's 11.5MB in size and 4600px on the long side

I believe the credit for this creation goes to Rob Leslie on Manual Focus Forum.

Looks like this at a smaller size:
Thanks a lot man!! Really nice of you, gonna try it out later on this week.
06-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No need to buy anything more, you already have Color Efex Pro which is fantastic for adding film grain.