Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k-x image download difficulty

I have a K-x I'm having difficulty downloading all of the images from successfully...I use a 16gb SDHD card, and have seven folders (sorted by date) that I attempted to download, but several images in some early folders (from late May) are coming up blank (all white, with some w/streaks of angled color bands in them). I probably have approx. 30-35 images in total to download

...and images I shot a week ago are all blank...

All images can be replayed successfully in playback mode on the camera, so it's doesn't appear to be the camera...

I've tried to remove the SD card and download them directly to the computer, as well as downloading them directly from the camera to the computer, and the same problem keeps appearing...I've also tried to download them on 2 different computers, and keep running into the same problem...

Any thoughts on how I might get these images downloaded successfully, and what (if anything) I can do to avoid this problem in the future?

I've been using this card successfully for the last several months, w/no problems downloading 'till now...

Thanks for any assistance...
Rich

06-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What software are you using to import and view/process the images onto your computer? Are the images JPEG, DNG or PEF format?
06-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The first thing I'd do is to write-protect that card.

Do you get identical results when downloading from the camera directly as from using a card reader?

Are all the images the same format?

Have you tried other software to view the images, and is your software up-to-date?

Paul
06-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks to tibbits and twitch for responding - to answer their questions:

Yes I get the same results whether downloading from the camera or from the card.

All images are shot as RAW's only (not JPG's or RAW+JPG's)...downloaded as PEF's

I'be been using Zoner Photo Studio 12 for the last several months to convert the PEF's to JPG's which 'till now hasn't been a problem...

Alternatively, I've tried to use the Pentax-suppled Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 software that was supplied w/the camera to download, and still get the same blanks as I do when using Zoner...

The SDHC card was not locked, but is now...

Thanks again...
Rich

06-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
k-x download difficulty/software recommendation?

I've got a K-x that has been giving me problems of not being able to download all of the images taken. I use a 16 SDHC card, and I've been using Zoner Photo Studio 12, which until recently had worked very well, as I shoot RAW's, and like to convert them to .JPG's when I download & save to my external hard drive.

Recently however, several images have been coming up blank (the newer the shots, the more blanks I'm downloading), whether I'm using Zoner or Pextax's software, although they successfully come up when I play them back in the camera.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem, and if there is a known solution to how to succesfully download the blank images completely.

Also, is there a preferred software program that is more compatible for the
K-X?

I do enjoy the Forum, since joining several months ago, and has been helpful in answering some beginner questions I had...

Thanks/Rich
06-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try some simple things first:
* connect your computer to K-x via USB cable (or use a card reader)

* copy your files to a directory.

* check you files with a RAW software, PDCU for example, after the transfer.

If some files are blank, it could be:

- a faulty card, or

- the need to reset (using the Green button) the camera settings if overexposed.

What card do ou have? Brand, type, class?
06-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The card I'm using is a ScanDisk 16gb SDHC Class 6...

The images can be played back successfully in the camera, and none appear to be over- or underexposed...I'll see about resetting as suggested before downloading

I'll see about using a different software program also if resetting doesn't work...

Thanks/Rich