Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Recommended Photo Printer ?

I am looking to buy a new printer and would like any helpful suggestions on what one to buy and what to stay away from. I don't want one where I have to buy THEIR ink.If you have one that you really like please let me know the make and model. Thank you !

06-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adk X Quote
I am looking to buy a new printer and would like any helpful suggestions on what one to buy and what to stay away from. I don't want one where I have to buy THEIR ink.If you have one that you really like please let me know the make and model. Thank you !
Both of the Photo Printers that I own almost insist on using their proprietary ink. I have both an HP Photosmart D7360 and a Canon Pixma MG8120 All-In-One Photo printer. I've just acquired the Canon printer and the ink used in it is available to me ,where I Live, only directly from Canon.

My HP Photosmart D7360 uses the "02" ink cartridges that are available through other ink suppliers. I find, however, that unless I use only HP's own proprietary inks, the photo printing is a little catch as catch can. I find that the Magenta adjustments are way off unless I use the genuine HP inks.

I can get reasonably nice prints if I do custom adjustment to the color balance and brightness in the printer custom settings: as I need to lighten the prints in the HP or they come out too dark.

The Canon, however, using their own proprietary inks the 226 series inks, seem to give me a very nice print. Now, I can't, at this time tell you which one gives me the lowest cost print, using the inks that work the best.

I also find that the Canon Pixma MG8120 All-In-one gives me a very faithful black and white photo, since it uses a photo black and Photo grey ink cartridge along with a black text cartridge. It also uses Magenta, Cyan, and Yellow cartridges. From what I've seen is that you have to pay for good photo prints.

For Black and white prints, I would choose the Canon printer over the HP since the Canon gives the better B/W print because of the dedicated Black and Grey inks in the Canon. Otherwise, if properly adjusted both printers give beautiful color prints.
06-23-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What sort of prints do you want to make? Snapshots? Competition prints? For an A4 printer that can use 3rd party inks I reckon Canon are hard to beat. I have a Canon all-in-one (Prints, Copies, Scans) and am very pleased with the results, and each ink is in a different cartridge so you don't throw away / recycle a tri-colour cartridge with (say) plenty of magenta left but no cyan.

If you want to make serious competition prints you might want something fancier, and you should use the OEM inks.
06-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I know they are more expensive - but please for the love of god - use genuine inks.
In a former life I repairs HP, Canon, and Epson printer. I lost count of the number of print heads completely destroyed by 3rd party inks....

06-23-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't know what the situation is now, but my old HP printers both had the head in the cartridge. So, if the head got damaged a new cartridge fixed the problem and 3rd party ones were find from that point of view.
06-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I don't know what the situation is now, but my old HP printers both had the head in the cartridge. So, if the head got damaged a new cartridge fixed the problem and 3rd party ones were find from that point of view.
Apparently, my HP Photosmart D7360 has fixed print heads, since the "02" ink cartridges do not come with print heads. I do agree, that using low quality inks with fixed print heads is asking for eventual print head failure. I have had good luck, so far, with "Carrot Inks", however my 7360 does not print a faithful color with the Carrot Ink Magenta inks. I need to reduce the intensity to about -20 in the custom settings to get a good print. So in my opinion, you need to use the OEM inks to get your best results. The key, in my opinion, is to not skimp on the price of the printer, but to get a good printer that is capable of making a good print.

Incidentally, Some Walmart stores use HP Photosmart printers in their stores that produce excellent color prints. Usually at about 28 cents per print for a 4 x 6 inch print using their instant print service and even less if you print a high volume of prints using to "One Day" service. I couldn't print them myself any better than Walmart did, using my current equipment.

Really, I question the need for a really good photo printer at home, when a Walmart is close at hand. Especially, for volume printing. I would choose the Walmart, (or other printing service) rather than doing the printing at home. And if you are looking to make display quality prints, I'd look for a professional printing service.
07-26-2011, 03:38 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use several years HP-8250 and 8550 both down now and HP not doing more single photosmart printer. Last week i bought very good printer from Canon
Pixma 6520 .Price 149$. I try use all weekend color photo look great,i try matte paper ,from Canon and Ilford paper .Printer use ink 226 so far even after print few 13-19 size images work great

07-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I also use a Canon Pixma 8120 printer that uses the 226 inks. My printer is an All-in-one printer and so far I'm totally satisfied with all of the functions of the printer, including scanning photos and documents as well as film and slide copying. It cost close to $200 but to me, it's worth it. I get good results and the machine is flexible to use. I'm using my HP Photosmart D7360 less and less all of the time, even though my HP Photosmart 7360 is an excellent photo printer.