Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2011, 04:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best Photoshop plugins?

Wonder what others consider to be a must have plugin(s) for photoshop?

I'm not talking about the thousands of special effect plugins but, rather, those that are useful for basic image processing. I'm thinking practical and useful.

For instance I might recommend Topaz DeNoise or Nik Sharpener Pro as an example.

What's your opinion?

Last edited by wildman; 06-26-2011 at 04:19 AM.
06-26-2011, 04:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The whole topaz suite is worth getting IMO- they're way ahead of stock photoshop in some areas.
06-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The whole topaz suite is worth getting IMO- they're way ahead of stock photoshop in some areas.
Agree with Adam about Topaz...

OTOH... Kinda depends on which flavor of Photoshop you are using (Elements, Lightroom, CS5, etc.).

For PS Lightroom, my preference is NIK's collection.

Go to NIK and Topaz wwweb site's and watch some of their tutorials to see how they work... Also, if you attend one of their 'live' webinars, they usually offer a product discount as a reward to attending (and participating)...

Topaz Labs Tutorials

http://www.niksoftware.com/learnmore/usa/index.php/webinars/archives

If you are into saving time and want hgh quality output, which ever way you go, Topaz and/or NIK, it's worth the money IMHO.

Cheers...
06-26-2011, 06:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd tell you, but then again, if I did... I'd be giving away my best kept secrets that have taken years to develop and uncover.

However I will say this...

The latest version of Raw Therapee(free btw) makes mince meat out of ACR and LR

06-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like Topaz, Nik, OnOne, Alien Skin, KPT, Kodak, Redfield, Flaming Pear, Noise Ninja. Not all of these are for photographic corrections. Some of them I use for other reasons.
06-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
OTOH... Kinda depends on which flavor of Photoshop you are using (Elements, Lightroom, CS5, etc.).
I have the latest version of PS extended and LR.
06-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like Topaz and Nik's plugins, though I don't actually use all of them (I wanted enough that it was cheaper to buy the suite than to buy the ones I wanted separately). I never quite got along with Noise Ninja for some reason - other people got much better results than I ever did. It taught me the value of free 30 day trials since I bought it based on all the reviews and what others said about it, without trying it first.

I downloaded one of OnOne's plug-ins today and was very pleased with it. I'm not sure how much I'd use their other products but if the rest of them are as high quality as the one I tried, they should be excellent.

06-27-2011, 05:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
If you are into saving time and want hgh quality output, which ever way you go, Topaz and/or NIK, it's worth the money
OK.
I have the complete Topaz and NIK installed now will see how it goes.

I have a recommendation of my own. It's called Power Retouche. It's over 20 programs almost all for basic image processing.

Thanks all
06-29-2011, 11:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
here are some interesting actions that work like plugins...

70 Of The Best Photoshop Actions For Enhancing Photos | Creative Nerds

cheers
06-29-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use Nik Viveza for quick selection area adjustments without having to make complex selections. OnOne's Perfect Resize is the most reliable tool for resizing an image, especially scaling it larger. OnOne's Mask Pro makes masking as simple and accurate as possible. FocalPoint does a good job of creating depth of field and pleasing bokah. Topaz Labs has tools that do the same as the latter two that are less expensive but, IMO, don't give quite as good results. I do own the whole Topaz suite. I do like Topaz Adjust for working with local contrast and DeNoise for working with high ISO noise.
06-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
I use Nik Viveza for quick selection area adjustments without having to make complex selections. OnOne's Perfect Resize is the most reliable tool for resizing an image, especially scaling it larger. OnOne's Mask Pro makes masking as simple and accurate as possible. FocalPoint does a good job of creating depth of field and pleasing bokah. Topaz Labs has tools that do the same as the latter two that are less expensive but, IMO, don't give quite as good results. I do own the whole Topaz suite. I do like Topaz Adjust for working with local contrast and DeNoise for working with high ISO noise.
OK.
Sounds good.
Will give the OnOne suite a try also. Will take a while - it's a huge download.
06-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

LRenfuse for HDR
06-30-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Do any plugins for LR allow graduated filter manipulation with other than straight lines?
07-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'd tell you, but then again, if I did... I'd be giving away my best kept secrets that have taken years to develop and uncover.

However I will say this...

The latest version of Raw Therapee(free btw) makes mince meat out of ACR and LR
When you say the latest version of Raw Therapee, do you mean the one that was released on June 26? It was the first version that did not crash and burn on my little Asus Eepc. The last "stable" 32 bit version was, for me, misnamed.

The 64 bit version works well on my other laptop.

I'm curious what, other than the price, makes mince meat out of Adobe's products? The sharpening and NR seem a bit difficult to master.
07-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'm curious what, other than the price, makes mince meat out of Adobe's products? The sharpening and NR seem a bit difficult to master.
I think that since RT competes with Photoshop/ACR then we might say the price factor is a big one
But I guess this could change if Adobe released a stand-alone ACR module.

Aside from this I think RT leaves ACR in the dust in the Demosaic, Raw Sharpening(Deconvoluted and contrast), Preprocessing, Defringe and Lens Module(CA), Resize Module(Lanczoz), Highlight Reconstruction, Hot pixel filter? and a few other tidbits that escape my memory at this time.

As for the difference one might ask?
It's simply astounding.
Well, as far as I can see anyways

Granted, the noise module leaves to be desired. Though, I never really made use of the Luma NR module in ACR anyways.
And so it really comes down to Chroma in my case. To which I'd say ACR still gets the node for it's passive grain. Which really works well as preprocessing for advanced NR modules such as Denoise. But insofar as RAW detail goes, there's just no competition. RT really does stand tall above the best windows RAW/DNG developers I've used with Pentax files to date.

Hope this helps.

PS. I'm using the Windows build 2011-06-26_win64_3.0B1.50 atm. Though I haven't had any problems with any of the previous builds from the same trunk.

/Added later...

I think much of the sharpening issues surrounding RT is a direct consequence of how people intend to use it. That is to say that they would approach the issue in a RAW pre-sharpening stage rather than a perceptual one. And many people don't fully realize the importance of this in RAW development. And I think much of the confusion following this is derived from most mainstream UI's catering to both words(Pre-sharpening + Creative).

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-04-2011 at 06:24 PM.