Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That seems true. Even the open source RAW convertors handle my K-x DNG's better. And of course DxO and Lightroom handle K-x DNG's excellently.

But I am in touch with Phase One support about it. They seem willing to look into the issue. Hopefully something will change for the better.
Same here (see previous post with the emails details).
I would imagine that Capture One receiving two separate complaints about a similar problem will produce results.

07-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Same here (see previous post with the emails details).
I would imagine that Capture One receiving two separate complaints about a similar problem will produce results.
there were enough complaints before - see P1's own U2U forum... it seems that C1 still not moved w/ full DNG support regardless
07-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are some fresh news:

I have received one more email from the fellow at Capture One, here is the script:

Hi Jacques,

(I had asked if Monday would be OK for a telephone call
Yes. Note, my call is to discuss the missing files.

(Note: IMPORTANT)
Capture One does not support the Pentax version of the DNG file. Capture One can read the DNG file but not the locked Pentax settings so each image is treated like a raw unadjusted file.

In any case, files should not be lost. The Capture One process is none destructive and does not change the original file data. That's what I would like to discuss and see if we can find the missing files.

(Note: IMPORTANT again)
Please shoot using the PEF format if using Capture One.

Walter

So, I had switched from PEF to DNG quite a while back, assuming that the DNG format was more "universal".
Now I am rather baffled because Capture One will read the PEF's correctly (yes or no? ... not sure about that) vs. the DNG's from the K5.

Anyway, I am not going to re-switch to the PEF format and will continue using the Pentax DCU which reads perfectly the DNG's as well as the PEF files.

I will see what happens to the RAW files that were mysteriously removed from the original folder BUT show in Capture One, albeit very badly tinted with purple and green.

More soon.

Cheers.

JP
07-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
there were enough complaints before - see P1's own U2U forum... it seems that C1 still not moved w/ full DNG support regardless
Yes indeed.

See my next post too.

JP

07-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting.

I have made available a 14.5MB DNG original to Phase One support, as they requested. But I have heard nothing from them about C1's K-x DNG rendering since doing so. I'll give them a few more days before I share the same conclusions as jpzk and deejjjaaaa about their responsiveness to customer issues, especially about the Pentax DNG issue.

There seems no reason why their DNG support should be so amateurishly bad, other than by some sort of oversight.
07-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #36
Veteran Member

After reading through this thread, I just tried Capture1 for the first time - especially to see what happens with my DNG files.

Well....Capture1 doesn't even recognize or show my DNG files when I am in the import window.

How's that for weird.....
07-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't seem to find an option to save the file after it's been processed. What the heck good is it if you can't save your work???

07-09-2011, 02:59 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
I can't seem to find an option to save the file after it's been processed. What the heck good is it if you can't save your work???
I think this is just an interface issue. There is no simple 'File > Save As' option in C1 Express. You need to setup how C1 does it's processing first, and then look in the place you specified for the processed output to go.

In the main screen, click the little 'gear' button at the top of the left hand panel. You should then see a panel that says 'Process Recipe', 'Output Naming', then 'Process Summary'. Select how you want your output to be formatted (JPG/TIF etc etc) and then choose a place under 'Output Naming' for your processed files to go to. I have a folder called 'exported from capture one' where all the C1 processed images go. Then whenever you hit the Process button that's where your output will end up.
07-09-2011, 03:09 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Well....Capture1 doesn't even recognize or show my DNG files when I am in the import window.
Did you try just opening up the folder using Library > System Folder, then browsing to a directory with DNG's? You don't need to use the 'Import' process.
07-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In the main screen, click the little 'gear' button at the top of the left hand panel. You should then see a panel that says 'Process Recipe', 'Output Naming', then 'Process Summary'. Select how you want your output to be formatted (JPG/TIF etc etc) and then choose a place under 'Output Naming' for your processed files to go to. I have a folder called 'exported from capture one' where all the C1 processed images go. Then whenever you hit the Process button that's where your output will end up.
Hey, thanks and wow what a fast response!!! But it still seems like a big PITA especially if you want all the processed files to end up overwriting the originals. Lots of prep for what I need it for (basic editing- sharpness, noise reduction, exposure etc.).
07-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
After reading through this thread, I just tried Capture1 for the first time - especially to see what happens with my DNG files.

How's that for weird.....
Unfortunately DNG isn't really a universal standard like it could have been. If I remember correctly, I had to convert to DNG with the adobe DNG converter. C1 would only read compressed DNG I think, the camera DNG is uncompressed. Really confusing and I may have it backwards as that is why I haven't tried DNG in years.
07-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
Lots of prep for what I need it for
Yeah, that's true.

But most of the major RAW image managers, including Lightroom and DxO, make you jump through various hoops even if you want to do just some basic tweaks.

The design basis of this class of software is image processing for folks who need to handle lots of images at a time - eg 'pros' who may typically dump a few hundred shots into the program after a shoot and then want them turned around and processed efficiently. C1 very much follows that model.
07-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a follow up to the Capture One problems with K-x DNG rendering.

I got an email from Phase One support saying that they recognise there is a flaw in their DNG rendering and the issue has been passed to their R&D team, but there is no timetable for a fix. In the meantime they suggest "shooting to the native PEF files instead".

Not immediately helpful to me, since I shoot in DNG and have no plans to change that just in order to use C1 Express, but it maybe useful for others. I won't uninstall C1 Express just yet, but will keep an eye on future releases.

While their DNG support is dreadful, it is good that they have bothered to patiently answer support queries from freebie users. I commend them for that.
07-13-2011, 07:52 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I share the same conclusions as jpzk and deejjjaaaa about their responsiveness to customer issues, especially about the Pentax DNG issue.
there is a difference between "responsiveness" and getting things done... C1 does not fully support DNG for many years already (talking about converted DNGs and Pentax w/ dual PEF/DNG output)... and also they are quite defensive on public - here is an example (t hat is when I found a bug /small one - related to ISO12800/ w/ Kx .PEF support in C1 ) - Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya Official User to User Forum • View topic - Pentax Kx is absent from the list of cameras in support case

But to give P1 a credit - they actively (albeit too defensively) participate in their U2U forum (which they also host), albeit unlike w/ Adobe Labs and Bibble and ISL (if you manage to deal w/ Japanese) you can't talk directly w/ developers there, still it is a good thing because you can actually ask questions about cameras and get answers from people who are employees in tech support and participate in official capacity... Camera companies (and P1 is a camera company) rarely do this... I mean having tech support people involved in public discussions about technical things related to their products (and not marketing/general stuff like a-la Ned Bunell) w/o hiding the fact that they act on behalf of the company

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 07-13-2011 at 08:03 AM.
07-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #45
Forum Member

I tried the software as well, and while my raw pics are fine in iphoto and other software, opening in capture one results in a purple hue. I had hoped it would work well, but alas, I think it will get junked and I will get Aperture instead.