Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2011, 03:15 AM   #1

What is a good system to follow

Hi everyone,
Is there a system to follow when making adjustments to photos in Photoshop Elements 9.
What I mean is do you check and adjust the levels, then contrast e.t.c. e.t.c.
Or does it not matter. Thanks.
Cheers Darren

07-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fishnuts Quote
Hi everyone,
Is there a system to follow when making adjustments to photos in Photoshop Elements 9.
What I mean is do you check and adjust the levels, then contrast e.t.c. e.t.c.
Or does it not matter. Thanks.
Cheers Darren
I don't use elements and I shoot RAW but my basic methodology and order is:

1) Correct/adjust exposure
2) adjust contrast, shadows and highlights
3) Remove noise
4) Adjust levels, colors
5) Crop\Size
6) Sharpen
07-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I do something similar, though (and usually this is with film) I first dupe the layer, and do the adjustments on the layer - I try 'auto color' rather than 'auto levels' as the results are better... then I create the levels layer to adjust further. I can adjust the blending % and mode - sometimes 'multilply' or 'soft light' are just the right things, and sometimes I need a mask for these layers.

After merging the layers and a last check for the levels, I do the sharpening. If I resize I re-sharpen.
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do straighten and crop/resize first, then all the fiddling around, then sharpen. I don't flatten the layers, I save as a PSD. If I want a JPG for the web I save one of those as well.

07-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys that gives me somewhere to start and makes it easier to understand .
Cheers Darren
07-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For myself, I do any cropping and straightening first thing followed by spot removal if it needs any and then move on to exposure, contrast, color, etc. I sharpen at the end. I do my noise reduction along with sharpening, it works pretty well that way in Lightroom. Lightroom kind of programs you to follow their work flow so I kind of do the same steps even when using Elements or something else.
07-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks Reeftool.
Cheers Darren

07-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in looking at all the replies, I think I would suggest the following, and I don't think this really matters what processer you use.

1) crop the image first because this will reduce the memory requirements for all other actions to follow, unless you are really unsure of the final product.

2) perform all lens corrections but especially correction for lateral CA if this is achieved by rescaling the color layers.

3) perform all the functions that can be done at maximum color depth (if using raw) first, usually the following
3a) exposure, curves contrast etc
3b) color balance
3c) saturation

4) Noise reduction, sharpening etc...

5) final crop if desired.