Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Help! : PEF to JPG

This idiot hasn't found a way of doing it. A very simple thing.

For any given RAW @ 240dpi (thats what mine appear to be), create a maximum quality Jpeg retaining the dpi and setting the colour space as Adobe RGB 1998.

Anyone know how or perhaps of a freeware utility?

All my attempts have ended up as sRGB @ 96dpi

Thanks in advance.

11-20-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bluespearbone Quote
This idiot hasn't found a way of doing it. A very simple thing.

For any given RAW @ 240dpi (thats what mine appear to be), create a maximum quality Jpeg retaining the dpi and setting the colour space as Adobe RGB 1998.

Anyone know how or perhaps of a freeware utility?

All my attempts have ended up as sRGB @ 96dpi

Thanks in advance.
Use RAW software? I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do. DPI is an output setting, the RAW file doesn't "have" any DPI assigned to it, it's just a collection of output data in rows and columns, with some statistical data attached (WB, Exp, Exif etc) straight from the sensor.

As to freeware: get UFRaw, the best OSS RAW converter I know of.
11-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mikey.

Seems i just don't know or understand enough about raw images.
When I import a raw from the K100D it appears to come in as 3008x2008 pixels @ 240dpi, which I have assumed to be the maximum output resolution of the sensor. When i subsequently try to convert to the jpeg format, resolution drops to 72 or 96dpi (according to file properties). I would prefer to see something towards 300dpi before submitting the images for printing.
11-20-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
bluespearbone,
That's just your software programs default setting, which is normal.

Depending upon what program your using you more or less go to the re-size feature.

Then you alter the hight, width and DPI.

Some programs will remember this setting for you when others won't.

Before you re-size everything to 300 DPI I would strongly suggest that you talk to your printers about it. Some of their machines work better at different settings.

For the most part they'll take care of everything, so you shouldn't have to worry about it.

11-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Stu.
After a bit more tinkering managed to get the images imported at 3008x2008 (which according to the K100D manual is the RAW dimension) @ 300dpi, giving a size of 25.47x17cm. Hopefully thats OK, but please feel free to sound the alarm if this fool has goofed.