Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
Forum Member

editing software

I am having a hard time trying to decide what program to buy? I will need a editing program for editing senior portraits and stock photography. I am reading mixed reviews about Photoshop elements 6 so if I got Photoshop Elements 5, whould I be missing much? Is there a better option? I am not an expert but I am a quick learner. My budget it 150.00 and below. Thanks in advance for any help! I am going to be shooting raw, so I will need to be able to edit those.

Kaelyn

11-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use ACDSEE Pro, and love it.

However I think that you should save your money for lenses, which will give you better results with less work.

There are several free editing programs you can use, and you might never have to upgrade.

I used Raw Therapee for a while, and it was a nice program.
Easy to use, but a little slow.

Irfanview for years, before I found out it can process RAW.
It's a good program, I just quit using it because it didn't have a few features I wanted.

I still use FastStone for some of my editing. It's a slick program.

Picasa is a lot like I-Photo, from your friends at Google.
It's probably the easiest program I'm listing to use.

Gimp which has several of Photoshops features, only at a much better price tag. Free.
For raw editing you'll want to download the ufraw plug-in, found here.

I'll recommend any of these downloads, but do your research and see which one suits your needs the best.
11-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank-you Stu for the great reply! I will start looking at the one's you listed and find the one that fits me best

Kaelyn
11-20-2007, 07:22 AM   #4

There are a lot of editors available now and I suspect there will be more in the future. I doubt anyone on the forum has used all of them. I haven't.

You already have one that came with your camera. To be honest, I haven't used it but I've read it produces good results.

Are you going to need to be able to do batch processing? Some programs do and some don't.

Are you going to be shooting raw files? I'm not sure all the programs will deal with .pef files.

Most of the programs seem to have a 30-day free trial which is a reasonable length of time although the time spent learning to use each program may not be reasonable.

FWIW, and that isn't much, I was using Bibble and liked it well enough. I switched to Lightroom because it was free and I like it better. It was free because I had used RawShooter which was my favorite.

11-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
roy
Inactive Account

i'll start a new thread for freebies. ck out ''gimpshop''. a very nice freebie.
11-26-2007, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Anything you see of mine went through freeware:

The GIMP (with ufraw.exe plug-in)
IrfanView
NoiseWare (Community Edition)

The only thing is that I did recently lay out the $25 or $30 for the Standard Edition of NoiseWare because I wanted the extra functionality of being able to save in TIFF format. (The freeware version will open TIFF, but only saves in JPG). I only did that because I just found out that RAW>TIFF>JPG with the noise reduction being applied at the TIFF stage gives (to my eyes) better results than applying it to the JPG after all the processing is over.
11-26-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

This was posted by Roy in another thread. There should be something you can use here:
Photo-Freeware.net - Image Editing Freeware Download Source