Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Help removing partial color cast?

I took the following photo in the Cathedral in Mainz Germany. It's a five photo HDR.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how best to remove the color cast from the fluorescent lights off to the side? Or should I just leave them?

I had to clone over about 15 hot pixels, and I still missed a few. Is this normal?

Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kevin

Attached Images

07-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

In RAW development I set the WB / color temperature to whatever looks right. For JPG editing, whether standalone or stitched or HDR'd, I use old PaintShopPro9 whose Adjust --> Automatic Color Balance tool has a Remove Color Cast option. I find this to be necessary with JPGs from my K20D and all my Sony P&S's, and advisable with my Minolta and Olympus P&S's. I don't know if other editors have this option but I'd be surprised if they didn't. Let's see, I'll open my rarely-used PSE2 book and look up color correction and AHA! Choose Enhance | Adjust Color | Color Cast for a dialog box. That tool may be elsewhere in newer versions, and be named otherwise in other editors. Check your manual(s) under Colors. Good luck!
07-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks RioRicoh. However, won't what you're describing change the color of the entire photo? I'm looking for suggestions on changing just the green areas affected by the fluorescent lights on the left.
07-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have done this with a single photo. In fact the first try was my entry here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/15251...enge-45-a.html

What I did is involved or impractical for an HDR, though. I started with a RAW image, opened in Adobe Camera RAW. I chose one area where I wanted the white balance to be good, not worrying about how the other parts looked. Then I made the other changes I wanted in ACR, and off to Photoshop CS5. Then I reopened the RAW file, and changed the white balance settings so the secondary elements matched the colors in the first image. (With dual monitors I could see both CS5 and ACR.) I opened that in CS5. Back to the first image, I made a new Layer, copied the second image to that layer, and created a layer mask so only the areas with matching color balance showed.

I think it worked great, and I've done it for other images with two different light sources. The important part is the layers and the mask. I started with ACR and used the white balance tool for changing the color cast. With an HDR, I might do all the HDR steps first, then make a couple of layers with a mask and a color cast removal tool.

07-24-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link Dave. I was afraid I would have to go for a second layer color corrected for fluorescent and use a mask. I tried that originally, but had a lot of problems with the areas of mixed light (on the walls). It will be a bit of work given the many reflections on the chairs.

I'll give it another try!

Last edited by klh; 07-24-2011 at 05:26 PM.
07-24-2011, 07:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You all are making this 10X harder than it needs to be. OP, if you have a clone tool I'm thinking you're working in Photoshop or some similar program? If so you need to just go over the green pixels with a paintbrush set on "color." You'll need to watch which color beige you're using, maybe switch sometimes in different places, since you have several tones of beige, tan and sand colors going on there. Keep the opacity slider down low and just build up the color until it matches. That's basically it. Clone tool isn't the right tool for this, not really. You're just looking to replace the color in a specific area, so "paint" over it with the "color" tool. That will give you the transparent color you need for the job.
07-24-2011, 11:43 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I suspect that some of the ways you find online for removing purple fringing might work though you might need to use a mask to restrict the area of the image they are working on. Something like this:

Remove Purple Fringing From Your Photographs

07-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
I suspect that some of the ways you find online for removing purple fringing might work though you might need to use a mask to restrict the area of the image they are working on. Something like this:

That approach works pretty good. Besides the lime green of the fluorescent cast, there aren't many other elements with green. It doesn't take long to get the cast from "extremely distracting" to "not bad".
07-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote

Great help! Here's a sample after a quick attempt. I'm sure I can get it even better now. Thanks!!!
Attached Images

07-26-2011, 03:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Mostly that's worked very well. I feel there's still a tinge of green in the alcoves, or is that they are too cool compared to the rest? Anyway glad it worked for you.