Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-24-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which software for RAW extraction?

Hi. Is is better to use Pentax Photo Laboratory 4 or ACR in Photoshop Elements 9 to process a Pentax RAW file? Is there really a difference? Which one do you prefer. Thanks.
Mike.

07-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Try both and see which you prefer - after all they are your photos and you are the one using the software.
07-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The Pentax software, particularly the latest version, is a very good RAW processor.

I'd start there with any RAW processing and only go to something else if you really feel limited by the Pentax software. The Pentax software is free, powerful and can produce great results. Strengths of the Pentax software include full support for all the in-camera custom image settings available in your model camera, as well as full support for Pentax lens corrections (geometric distortion, CA etc) and (with the latest version) very good high ISO noise reduction too.

ACR+Elements is also a very good combo. ACR is an excellent RAW convertor and Elements is a powerful image editor, whereas the Pentax software isn't really an image editor at all.

So there is no harm in buying Elements. A good image editor is handy to have no matter what RAW processor you use.
07-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #4

You might also give this a shot. I was cleaning my hard drive and found an older version in a folder. That prompted me to go to the web site and they now have a newer beta version (Windows XP/7). Even supports Pentax K-5.

Scarab Darkroom

07-30-2011, 12:45 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Also, see the many, many existing threads comparing different RAW processing programs. My opinion - differences in output are miniscule, subjective, and almost completely irrelevant. Differences in capabilities and simplicity of workflow are huge and the only things worth thinking about.
07-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Also, see the many, many existing threads comparing different RAW processing programs. My opinion - differences in output are miniscule, subjective, and almost completely irrelevant. Differences in capabilities and simplicity of workflow are huge and the only things worth thinking about.
+1

... I would also suggest to stick with whatever software you use for a while at least. With every software package you will need to learn and practise for a while to find out what is working well and what's not in order to achieve the results you prefer.
08-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #7
Inactive Account

So what is the recommendation?

Ive just started taking Raw with JPEG. Now Ive got to do some IT jiggerypokery on my PC to bring the image alive! Can anyone suggest an EASY TO USE and inexpensive software to do this. I tend to store all my images on Picasa and am not into Photoshop style cheating!! I am not good with IT and dont want to spend hours with every image I take!

08-23-2011, 12:52 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Krzys Quote
Ive just started taking Raw with JPEG. Now Ive got to do some IT jiggerypokery on my PC to bring the image alive! Can anyone suggest an EASY TO USE and inexpensive software to do this. I tend to store all my images on Picasa and am not into Photoshop style cheating!! I am not good with IT and dont want to spend hours with every image I take!
As mentioned, all the answers (and there are many) are in previous threads of this section. Even the "photoshop is cheating" thread is around, somewhere. :-)
08-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by VE2CJW Quote
Hi. Is is better to use Pentax Photo Laboratory 4 or ACR in Photoshop Elements 9 to process a Pentax RAW file? Is there really a difference? Which one do you prefer. Thanks.
Mike.
Try UFRAW and RAWtherapee too, both free. I decided on UFRAW for myself mostly because it's easier to use than the Pentax utility and works nicely with aftermarket denoising software (Topaz).