Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need Help with DNG to Print Output...

Hello Everyone!

I am coming from a 35mm film background... and now a Digital noob.

I am trying to build a 24"x16"in poster collage of various images. All the images are from a k-x, 12 MP in DNG format. When using Photoshop, there is a step to process the images. I use all the default settings, except set the ppi to 300. The idea is to have all 300ppi images on the final Tiff that will go to print.

My question is... if an image is 300ppi... can the image be re-sized up. Say... from 1" wide x 2" high..... resized to 2"w x 3"h?

I am working in Photoshop CS3

My confusion comes from the fact I work as a web designer. I always start from large image and down size... never upsize. Also... in 35mm darkroom days.. I would just get a bigger piece of paper and move the enlarger head up.

The resolution with upsizing has me wondering about final output.

Thanks!

Jer

07-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #2
Forum Member

You'll get a far better idea if you view the piece at 100% (this is the resolution it'll be printed at) and ask yourself if you're happy? So just set it at 300ppi and scale away. You can upscale as much as you like, just remember that bigger doesn't always mean better