Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-26-2011, 12:45 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Help me replicate this effect? [photoshop]

How I believe it is done:
3 layers, lowered opacity, disregard color info, hue adjustment.

What I'd like to know:
The color and opacity values [estimated]
any additional information

Thanks!

07-26-2011, 01:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks like CYMK decomposition.
Dont know about photoshop, but in gimp i can decompose image to layers of color components. Then just move around those layers and set some subtracting (e.g. Multiply) blend mode.

Since the image looks quite harsh, most likely it has boosted contrast or levels adjusted, as well as some other processing done. The outcome will depend a lot on the original image. This might have contained strong Magenta components.
07-26-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your input
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
can anyone instruct me as to how to go about this in Photoshop? I tried a few google queries with no luck.

07-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There's an old photoshop type filter I think that actually that does this. I think it was one of the old Harry's filters. They're here and they're free if you want to check them out. I don't have that one currently installed so I'll have to check my disks tomorrow and see which one it was and get back to you. I think it was called something like pushed gradient....

The Plugin Site - Free Photoshop-compatible Plugins
07-27-2011, 11:01 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can't find a ready-made filter to reproduce this effect, you can try this. Let's take a random picture from the interwebs.

1. Switch to CMYK mode and choose a channel that looks good (probably the Cyan channel, here the left one)

2. Copy that channel and paste it in the Magenta and Yellow ones. That's right, you'll end up with the exact same image in the three channels. Fill the Black channel with white (we don't need it.) At that point if you select the CMYK channel it should look like a sepia picture. (Sorry, French Photoshop )

3. Select the content of the Cyan channel and move it to the left by the amount you need. Do the same with the Magenta channel, but by only half of that amount. Here I wanted the eyes to be side by side. An eye in this picture was about 150px wide so I moved the Cyan by 300px and the Magenta by 150px to the left.

4. Boost the contrasts your favorite way (curves, levels…) and voila!

(5. Optionnal) If a channel is not visible enough, you can select it and darken it a bit. The yellow channel usually needs some tweaking.
If you want to apply filters, vibrance, grain and so on, you may have to switch back to RGB mode. Keep in mind that you will then loose the ability to tweak the individual CMYK channels.
07-27-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
If you can't find a ready-made filter to reproduce this effect, you can try this. Let's take a random picture from the interwebs...
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply, this is exactly what I was looking for! +1