Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2012, 05:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
One of the reasons I shoot in DNG lol. You can download the DNG codec straight from adobe. I can now open my RAWs from the K5 even in windows.
Heres what Luminous Landscape said about RAW, recently:
QuoteQuote:
RAW
It's long overdue for camera companies to face up to the fact that they can't write decent raw software. They should do their customers a favour and stop insulting us with the dreck that they produce. Talk to a raw software engineer (as I have on numerous occasions) and you'll be told that most raw files are 90+% the same. There are some proprietary twists now and then, but unless a manufacturer is deliberately trying to be obtuse, or has some novel alternative colour matrix, raw files are quite similar. Yes, they are loaded these days with lens correction data fields, but this is all pretty much straightforward.

So, why do we have proprietary raw files from almost all camera makers? Corporate ego. Nothing more.*

Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, et al – give it up!*You are doing a disservice to your customers. Either adopt the DNG standard, or some other standard if you can find one. Stop wasting time and resources on producing V13.6 of your own usually underperforming raw software and leave the companies that know how to do it well do so. Apple, Adobe, Phase One and DxO all write powerful, full-featured raw image processing software. These are what 95% of advanced amateurs and pros use, so please, let go of your ego trip, and do the right thing by adopting a standard raw file format. Your customers will thank you when you do, but will continue to curse you if you don't.
I couldn't agree more.

08-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Heres what Luminous Landscape said about RAW, recently:

I couldn't agree more.
Those are very much my thoughts too. Its ridiculous. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot too. I love using Capture NX2 for example. Its a superb program. It only reconises Nikon Raw though. Now I have to process the Pentax DNG files in CS4 turn them into ginormous TIFFs Finnish them in capture NX and then turn them to JPGs.
Even if the individual camera company wanted to keep there own identity they could at least allow there software to reconise other formats.