Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Photo Manipulation (Historical View)

I came across this on my Google+. it is an interesting read on Photo Tampering throughout History... Pretty crazy stuff on here and I thought I would share. I bet those old photogs wish they had the tools we use today

Here is the link: Fourandsix Technologies - Photo Tampering throughout History

08-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

This *is* an interesting piece about tampering, usually for propagandistic-persuasive purposes, that goes beyond artistic manipulation or routine PP. As noted, it's an old photographic tradition -- even pre-photographic, if we consider faces painted-out of or replaced in paintings. So we can't consider such mashups as modern nor post-modern nor photographic only. But this article highlights some of the more egregious fake-outs. Fun stuff! Try it yourself! Erase a celeb today!
08-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This dates to civil war and Alexander Gardner & Gettysburg.Rather than
photographic manipulation,subject is somewhat macbre "subject manipulation"
Fasinating piece of detective work by folks that discovered.

The Case of The Moved Body
08-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
This dates to civil war and Alexander Gardner & Gettysburg.Rather than
photographic manipulation,subject is somewhat macbre "subject manipulation"
Fasinating piece of detective work by folks that discovered.
Another interesting bit, yes. Ah, "subject manipulation" is just part of picture-making (rather than picture-taking). "Move a little to the left, if you would. Look up. Smile!" This is indeed a bit macabre because the subjects are dead humans, but part of a long tradition. I can think of numerous historic photos (and paintings) where a maybe-notorious corpse has been positioned (with props) for dramatic-artistic effect.