Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which photo printer?

I'm looking to buy a color photo printer. I want 5-colors, individual ink cartridges, inexpensive ink, and NO PAGE COUNT tracking and cartridge lockdown. I basically want whatever the current equivalent of the Canon i860 is. Any recommendations?

Charles.

08-04-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think any of the current Canon printers would be fine. I have an MP620 all-in-one and was very pleasently surprised with quality of the prints and the scans - I used Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl paper. it also did a good job of a 50-page document. I have no problem using 3rd party cartridges in it - have used PC World, Tesco's own and now Inkrite. I get my ink from 7dayshop.com.

The iP4850 and iP3600 both have five separate cartridges, the cheapest printers have a tri-colour cartridge.

However if you need scanning and/or copying, I'd look at whatever the successor to the MP620 is. As well as being good at what it does, mine has both wifi and ethernet - I connect mine via ethernet over a powerline plug. Wifi is almost in the same league as irons for devil's inventions.

Canon Product Finder - For Home - Canon UK
08-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good Luck

My general photo printer is a iP4700. It fits your criteria and I refill the ink. There is some messing around to do to get it to take the refills.
Turn off ink monitoring first and then when the printer tells you you're using an ink cartridge that is reported empty, you hold the reset button for 5 seconds. This works for several uses but the message about an empty cartridge will pop up again to irritate you.

Your ink refill supplier should have a work around for most printer models.

My large printer only gets fed Canon ink.
09-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I ended up with a Canon MG8120. It makes great photo prints and passable scans, and will scan negatives (in a special holder it comes with) at 48,000 dpi. So, I'm pretty happy! Cost me only $200 from Amazon.

Charles.