Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Aperture, Lightroom, or other?
Switched from Aperture to Lightroom 66.38%
Switched from Lightroom to Aperture 44.26%
Always used Aperture 1718.09%
Always used Lightroom 4750.00%
I use both 22.13%
I use another program/app (mention in a post) 1819.15%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2011, 05:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Yeah Aperture gives you a choice, either store in it's DB or store and organise your files in a normal directory structure and point Aperture at it (called "referenced library").
Ahh, I thought it might but didn't dig too deeply. I got used to Lightroom 2 on the PC and then on the Mac and then upgraded to Lightroom 3 although I did like the idea of the 'Faces' in Aperture.

Hmm, maybe I'll have to have another look at Aperture and use it in referenced mode for those things it does best and Lightroom because I'm used to it and it works well for me.

After all, I shoot both Pentax & Nikon and have a Canon P & S with me most times just for emergency.

Favourite software is so personal isn't it. Like workflows and your computer desktop. You get used to something and it works well for you while someone else will wonder how you can do anything with what you use. Good job that there are several choices for most anything out there.

08-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

What I really like in Lightroom is the noise reduction and lens correction features. Although I have Topaz Denoise & PTLens, round tripping is not as good as non-destructive corrections natively done in the app.

I guess next release of Lightroom will have photobooks and basic video editting, and the next of Aperture will have denoise & lens corrections. Competition is good
08-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Competition is good
Except when you absolutely have to upgrade to get the ONE item in an upgrade that you REALLY WANT and the other 49 features don't really do anything for you.
08-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Capture One 6

Capture One trounces ACR/LR in terms of IQ, except for NR in images with very high levels of noise, which is not a big issue for me. I use Expression Media for cataloging and, thus, have no need for that function in LR. Have not tested the latest version of Aperture.

Rob

08-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I use Photoshop CS3, and the capability is still so far beyond what I can do, I can't see myself upgrading for some time. Since it's such an old release, perhaps you can find a copy for close to Aperture or Lightroom. That is presuming of course you are interested in some of the capabilities it has beyond the others. With that said, Camera Raw, which is included, is a 3rd piece to the set that is very easy to use.
08-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I chose always used Lightroom, but the reality is I haven't, and there doesn't seem to be a better choice for me. I used to use Bibble but switched to Lightroom when they couldn't get version 5 out the door and LR3 ended up with such excellent noise reduction. I do still use Bibble when I want to do a very fast process of a batch of raw files that I don't plan on importing to Lightroom. So I kinda use LR all the time.
08-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #22

i'm an aperture user, but not very well knowledgeable in much regarding programs. my version is relatively old v 2.1.2 . i also have the NIK editing bundle too. seems alright. i wasn't too impressed, mind you, when i went to upload some new PEF files into aperture and it didn't let me. I do understand why, and since i lack any updates (for obvious reasons) i will probably have to wait to have my K5 payed off before actually buying the program.

one thing i do do, is upload all the RAW files onto my HD, then import into aperture. i does occupy quite a bit of space though.

08-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Use lightroom only before, after I learned photoshop and get used to it recently, I abandon lightroom....photoshop just give so much more control.
08-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I use Lightroom almost exclusively, although I have Photomatix and Fastone available as well.

I was somewhat frustrated with lightroom 3 for a while, until I purchased Scott Kelby's Lightroom 3 book. This volume is absolutely amazing, and I have come to terms with LR3 and it really is fantastic.
08-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I use Picasa to preview, organize and cull my RAW files (and DL from the camera). Download camera....throw out 90% of the photos I took :P

For post processing, I use PS Elements, with Nik Software plug-in. Once I get past the tweaking for RAW and using unsharp mask + any overlay technique I might want, it's all about Nik.

I'm using an iMac, running OSX. Starting to feel a bit slow, these days
08-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am using ACDSEE Pro 4
08-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #27
JHD
Veteran Member

I have PSPx3, PSE9, and LR3. I bought PSPx3 and PSE9 because I got them for half price. I bought LR3 because (as evidenced in this poll) it is widely accepted as being one of the best and most preferred post processing applications.
08-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote

I tried out Aperture but I prefer to organize my photos in their own physical directories which is the way Lightroom can do it. I prefer that to having Aperture store my photos in it's own database. Aperture may be able to store photos the other way but having used Lightroom through two versions I see no reason to switch now.

I'm sure others use Aperture to great effect and like the way it stores photos. Great.
Maybe someone else has mentioned this but clarification for any potential Aperture users out there : you can choose how your photos are stored, bring them all into Aperture's Library or leave them where they are (I have all of mine stored off-computer in a separate external hard disk - Aperture keeps previews of all of them on our computer so you can view these - but not work on them until you connect the external HD - at any time).

EDIT : OK I see this question has been answered elsewhere in the thread. Never mind I'll let this stand.

I have tried Bibble Pro (excellent - an LR lookalike but far far faster than either LR3 or A3) and LR3 but I prefer the way Aperture works with the Mac (as you would expect it to) and the wonderful ease of producing photobooks. Not sure that LR can emulate the ease of this since the reason it works so well is the integration with OSX.

Last edited by Frogfish; 08-14-2011 at 09:35 AM.
08-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Maybe someone else has mentioned this but clarification for any potential Aperture users out there : you can choose how your photos are stored, bring them all into Aperture's Library or leave them where they are (I have all of mine stored off-computer in a separate external hard disk - Aperture keeps previews of all of them on our computer so you can view these - but not work on them until you connect the external HD - at any time).
Your Aperture explanation is very clear and helpful.

Lightroom certainly has no access to photobooks that I can find, I would have to export and then import into something else for that. However, with about 14000 photos stored, moving over to Aperture full time would be a trial since the changes I've made, or rather the details of the changes would be lost.

I suspect most people start with trialing several programs, find one & barring it being complete crap stay with it because of the difficulty in moving over. You get used to the routine and the way it works along with it's faults and after awhile, don't really notice it.

That being said, I may use Aperture as well as LR3 for it's faces routines and photobook access.

I already use iPhoto for various simple and small tasks rather than LR3,
08-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #30
Pentaxian

I'm using Lightroom. I love the UI, IQ and functionality. It has some unnecessary shortcomings, but on the whole it is very useful. Biggest wishlist item is better distraction removal support. Something along the lines of Aperture's clone brush would be great.

I looked into Bibble 5 but found the UI to be not nearly as polished (both in terms of looks and usage). I liked the ideas of layered adjustments and that one can apply any adjustment locally, not just a subset (as in Lightroom). Bibble 5 currently is not an option for K-5 owners because the camera profile is broken, leading to purple artifacts when applying highlight recovery.

I'd look at Aperture as well, but it is only available for Macs.