Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Aperture, Lightroom, or other?
Switched from Aperture to Lightroom 66.38%
Switched from Lightroom to Aperture 44.26%
Always used Aperture 1718.09%
Always used Lightroom 4750.00%
I use both 22.13%
I use another program/app (mention in a post) 1819.15%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aperture, Lightroom, or other?

I'm wondering what RAW editing/organizing software people are using. In particular, I'm interested in knowing how many people have switched from Aperture to Lightroom and vice-versa, and explain briefly why.

08-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I browse (and rotate JPGs) with XnView 1.94.1; I develop RAW with PentaxPhotoLab 3; I PP with PaintShopPro 9; I stitch with AutoStitch 2.2; I animate with AnimationShop 3.1; I do other stuff with Magix Video7. These are enough to keep me busy.
08-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

I use PDCU 4.33.

For advanced editing, I use PTlens for lens distortion correction, Noiseware for noise reduction and Hugin for panorama and stichting.
08-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I actually started with Pentax Photo Laboratory, found it to be horrible, tried Lightroom and haven't looked back from there. Also as far as I know, Aperture is only available for Mac, and I don't use a Mac either.

Last edited by pop4; 08-04-2011 at 11:21 PM.
08-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

My Work Flow

LR3, make adjustments.

Then I use different programs from Nik Software & Topaz Adjust for a variety of editing & tuning the shot the way I saw it.

Serif PhotoPlus to remove objects, add text.

Some times, I just use Google Picasa 3. It does a great job for fast editing.

One day, I might had Photoshop CS5

Edit: Was looking at Deals4The Day and saw Corel PaintShop Photo Pro X3 Ultimate was on sale for $29.99. I found a coupon and that dropped the price to $23.99. It also came with some not to bad free programs as well. The deal was at the Corel Web Site. I was going to pay over $100 for it last year, so for $24 is a great deal.

Last edited by glee46; 08-05-2011 at 06:05 AM.
08-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Faststone Image Viewer - it's free and fast! The latest version has the tools necessary for routine organizing and processing. The only major thing missing is a white-balance function, but it is easy to shell out of Faststone into PSE or PDCU to take care of that.

I've never used Aperture nor Lightroom - no need for me.

-Joe-
08-05-2011, 07:01 AM   #7

Hello,

I use ufraw with the Gimp, and occasionally Rawtherapee.

08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Using Lightroom 3 and very pleased with it. The organization capability, once learned and utilized well, is absolutely wonderful. Very good RAW processing abilities, too.

I have Photoshop Elements but mostly just use it for resizing and the occasional cloning/healing.

I have never tried Aperture as I don't own a Mac.
08-05-2011, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I started using Lightroom on a PC and then continued when I switched to Mac.

I tried out Aperture but I prefer to organize my photos in their own physical directories which is the way Lightroom can do it. I prefer that to having Aperture store my photos in it's own database. Aperture may be able to store photos the other way but having used Lightroom through two versions I see no reason to switch now.

I'm sure others use Aperture to great effect and like the way it stores photos. Great.

It's results that really matter, not what platform or camera or computer type you use. I get rather sick & tired of all these pointless battles about all these things. (I'm not including this poll, it is interesting to see what variety there is out there and why people use what for what) but when it comes to 'battles' I've got more important things to do like living & taking photos.
08-09-2011, 07:48 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought Raw Developer (Iridient, OS X only) back in 2007 when I got my K10D. Highly regarded in comparison reviews at the time and I've always liked using it and the results I get. I like single-purpose tools and Raw Developer does only what the name says -- it has no asset management or raster editing functions. Admittedly this sometimes makes for a less-than-seamless workflow when such functions are called for, but I'm strictly amateur and can live with it.

Cost of a new license is still USD125, so from once being 58% cheaper than Aperture it is now 58% more expensive. Nonetheless, I am going to buy a USD75 upgrade license because the new version is much faster, I still like the program, and, again, I like single-purpose tools.
08-10-2011, 12:33 PM   #11

I actually use Photoshop + Camera Raw.

I haven't had the time to go through Lightroom yet, but will definitely give it a try.
08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Faststone and PSE in the goofiest workflow imaginable. I can't say I'm satisfied but I've made a couple of attempts to get comfortable with LR and given up in frustration.
08-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've used Aperture for 18 months and find it fantastic. The features since v3 make it pretty incredible. Probably the biggest pluses Aperture has over Lightroom is
1) makes it very easy to create and order photo books, I use this feature a lot
2) integration with the rest of Apple products (eg Apple TV for photo slide shows etc)
3) price (through the App Store)

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I tried out Aperture but I prefer to organize my photos in their own physical directories which is the way Lightroom can do it. I prefer that to having Aperture store my photos in it's own database. Aperture may be able to store photos the other way but having used Lightroom through two versions I see no reason to switch now.
Yeah Aperture gives you a choice, either store in it's DB or store and organise your files in a normal directory structure and point Aperture at it (called "referenced library").
08-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Aperture as the primary to download, organize and do a quick preview/edit/first deletions. Then I move over to NIK's suite for most PP. Back in Aperture, I'll do some tweaking and that's it. Occassially I'll export to PS Elements 9 for a couple of features I like.. Elements was my very first PP program back when. Left Photoshop at CS3 although it's still available.
08-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #15

I use ACDSee Pro 4. I tried a trial of Lightroom, Elements 9, Bibble, settled on my current choice. Other than layers and mask, it does everything I need. Gimp could probably supplement, when I get a chance to figure it out.