Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2011, 05:03 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Epson 1400 - Dead head.. what next?

Well, after a week of futile efforts at cleaning my 1400 I called tech support and they confirmed that the head was broken. Repair would likely be uneconomical. No longer in warranty.

They offered me access to their loyalty customer prices but their out of stock on everything close to the 1400 other than the R2880.

As I complained at spending $100 on new ink cartridges trying to get the damn thing fixed, they've offered an EXTRA set of ink if I get another Epson printer.

Sooo... Do I upgrade to the R2000, the R2880 (at $436 - about $50 off), the R3000...
OR do I go back to the 1400...
OR do I jump brands (losing out on a bunch of free ink) and go for a Canon?

So to answer the inevitable 'What are my needs'? Well, I'm a hobbyist photographer who will on occasion print, mat and frame for gifts and I aspire to selling some in a booth at street shows and fairs...

All advice is welcome...

Ken

Last edited by Javaslinger; 08-19-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Clarification
08-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Had the same problems... finally threw out the printer, all they are is Cash Cows for the printer
companies.
I have my prints done, a 12x18 costs $3.50 and standard prints if in quantity
for 12 cents usually.
A LOT cheaper than having my own printer.
Only use a laser printer for misc .
Everyone should boycott the Ink Barons till the price comes down, 50 bucks for
a bit of colored water and program them so not to be refilled is robbery.
08-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

What? The new Epson printers don't already come with a set of ink? My new 1400 came with the ink.

Maybe check Epson site frequently for 1400 refurb, or the other models.

Really, they should give the printers away. I've spent way more $$$ on paper and ink than on the printer! Like battery companies used to give away flashlights so people would lock into buying batteries...
08-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
What? The new Epson printers don't already come with a set of ink? My new 1400 came with the ink.

Maybe check Epson site frequently for 1400 refurb, or the other models.

Really, they should give the printers away. I've spent way more $$$ on paper and ink than on the printer! Like battery companies used to give away flashlights so people would lock into buying batteries...
An EXTRA set of ink...

08-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you see printing while people wait as part of selling in a booth? If so you have no choice but to have your own printer.

Otherwise, can you bear the waiting that sending printing out entails, and can you find somewhere producing a good enough quality print? At least when you do your own it's 1) almost instant and 2) you instantly can see if the print is OK.

Personally I'd consider switching to Canon - my experiences with an A4 all-in-on have been excellent, for both printing, scanning and copying. The iX7000 is a very similar price to your Epson, and the Pro9000 isn't much more expensive.

However I have no idea if spare parts are any more available for these than for your Epson.
08-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently bought a Canon Pro9000 and it does a beautiful job. The prices are decent too. Their ink is very reasonable. I switched from Epson to Canon printers years ago. I found the ink expensive and I was constantly wasting ink because I needed to run through the cleaning cycle because of clogging. The Epson was faster, I'll give it that. My older Canon Pixma 510 has been banging away for a few years. My wife regularly prints out 50 or more pages of stuff on a daily basis.