Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Image resizing help?

Please excuse a dumb beginner question on resizing images... but I don't do a lot of this. If I need a different size, I usually just re-scan the negative. In this case though, I have some files that have been "perfected" for printing that I want to re-use, without having to go through all the retouching, colour tweaking etc.

I have files that are scanned from 35mm negs, at 300 dpi for an 8x12 print.
I want to re-use them for a project that requires roughly 1024 x 768 pixel images at 72 ppi.

I have PS Elements 5.0. So I go to resize --> image size --> change the pixel dimensions to 1024 x 768, & with "constrain proportions" checked by default, it comes up with a pixel size close to that ratio. Then I change the resolution to 72 ppi, & the pixel size changes to 304 x 184. So I go back, & change it back to the 1024 x 768 range. Now it says my document size is 8x14. Ok... the people it's for have specified pixel size so the document size doesn't matter I guess. It's not for print.
"Scale styles" is checked by default, & "resample image" is set on "bicubic". ....?

I click "OK" & the image in the photoshop window shrinks to a teeny thing (which of course can be magnified again), although at the bottom it says it's 8x14 at 72 ppi. Dividing pixels by inches etc. it comes out to the right size in pixels, I think...
Then, how much difference in quality is there between the settings in the save options box -- 10-12 are "maximum" & is there much difference between them, or between "maximum" & "high" at 8 or 9? I want a good quality image but they don't want really large files.

Is this all I have to do? Will they get the size they want at the resolution they want if I do the above, or is there a better set of steps I should follow? Sorry... I am not a photoshop artist.

Thanks for any advice!

08-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want to change dpi to 72, I'd suggest doing this first, then resizing your image to your desired proportions (1024x768 for example). No real need to calculate anything - let PS do it all for you.

When resampling, bicubic is one method, and nearest neighbour is another. It's up to you the best method of sharpening that is implemented when resizing your images. I like nearest neighbour in some instances, and in others it's too strong and I just revert to bicubic sharper.

There is a clear difference in quality between say maximum or 10 and 6 or 7. But between 8 and 9 or 9 and 10, it's very hard to tell. For web size, 7 or 8 should suffice.
08-30-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!