BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 1 GB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

I bought this computer in early January 2009, so perhaps it's really a 2008 model. I'm not sure if it's unibody or not.

08-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
Here's what the System Profiler states:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version: 1.31f0

Memory:

BANK 0/DIMM0:

BANK 1/DIMM1:

I bought this computer in early January 2009, so perhaps it's really a 2008 model. I'm not sure if it's unibody or not.
The 2.4 GHz Macbook is the Early-2008 model. They were made from February 2008 to October 2008 and they support up to 4 GB of RAM (2 x 2 GB). The main problem you are going to have with this model is the Intel GMA X3100 graphics, they simply don't support some of the more advanced processing that later graphics chips do (OpenCL etc.)
08-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Ben. I think from what everyone has told me that my best bet is to get a more contemporary MacBook, which I'll probably do later in the year. You folks have been a big help. I'd never have realized that this computer could support more RAM than originally stated, and I've learned more about processors and displays than I knew before. A big thanks.
08-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

When you are ready to buy, look at some refurbished models that apple has on their website... They are about 1 generation behind but you get a great deal... Good luck!

08-29-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ash, my MacBook is also not the pro. Have you upgraded to Snow Leopard?
No Tamia - I'm still on Leopard but it's all I need on the laptop. CS3 runs just fine on it.
I agree also that you can find a really good deal by looking at the refurbished/clearance lists on the Apple website.
08-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EdwardConde Quote
When you are ready to buy, look at some refurbished models that apple has on their website... They are about 1 generation behind but you get a great deal... Good luck!
I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion, Eddie.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
No Tamia - I'm still on Leopard but it's all I need on the laptop. CS3 runs just fine on it.
I agree also that you can find a really good deal by looking at the refurbished/clearance lists on the Apple website.
It's good to know that CS3 runs fine on Leopard, Ash. I've had no plans to upgrade to Snow Leopard, and it's good to know that I don't necessarily need to. And thanks also for suggesting a refurbished or clearance model.
08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best deal Apple has in the refurb store right now is a 2.53 GHz i5 15" MacBook Pro for $1439. This model has some major advantages over the current 13", like NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory. The 13" has integrated Intel graphics with shared memory.

Every Mac you buy from Apple right now will have Snow Leopard preinstalled. New Macs come with a redemption code for Lion. Don't upgrade to Lion right away if you plan on running CS4 or CS5.

08-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The best deal Apple has in the refurb store right now is a 2.53 GHz i5 15" MacBook Pro for $1439. This model has some major advantages over the current 13", like NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB of dedicated GDDR3 memory. The 13" has integrated Intel graphics with shared memory.

Every Mac you buy from Apple right now will have Snow Leopard preinstalled. New Macs come with a redemption code for Lion. Don't upgrade to Lion right away if you plan on running CS4 or CS5.
Yeah stay away from Lion till around update .4 or .5... they usually have all the minor issues corrected by that rev and other developers usually are Lion compatible...

Have fun!
08-30-2011, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

I'm not sure if this is the proper spot on the forum to post this, but it seems the best place.

I use a 2009-purchased 13.3" MacBook G5 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and max memory for this machine, which is 2 GB, running OS X Leopard. Because this computer can't cope with heavy demands on the processor, I'm beginning to consider a new laptop, probably one I'll purchase later this year or early next year. So I'm asking for advice from folks who have some experience with and knowledge about what's available.

Requirements: I want to stick with Mac. My work is all Mac-based and I like its interface. I need something which will not be overpowered by PhotoShop CS, though I'll be starting out with Elements. (I use lightweight PP software now - GraphicConverter and Gimp.) I'm on a tight budget, so I'd like to stay below $1500 if possible. And it has to be a laptop, since I go on the road enough that I need the portability.

I'm thinking about one of the smaller-display MacBook Pros. Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!
I'm curious about the performance problems you're having now. At work I have a 15" macbook pro 8gb i7, but at home have a core2 duo windows computer with 2gb, and a celeron linux computer with 2gb. I use mostly gimp and various "lightweight" photo apps, but performance hasn't been a problem with the smaller computers. Admittedly I'm only editing my files (including 16 bit raw files) in 8 bit mode, and that's a factor, but I'm wondering what you're doing that you're experiencing performance problems. For Pentax files, I have 6mp and 10mp cameras, and almost always use raw (pef and dng), and usually save in png. Some operations take a few seconds, but there are no dramatic delays. I also work with raw 4000dpi tiff scans, 100mbyte+ files, and again don't experience annoying delays (except when reading/writing a network drive.) Processing on those scans could be faster admittedly, but they're not annoyingly slow.

What operations are causing you sufficient delays to want to replace your computer?

Paul
08-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Look for an app called Cocktail... it is a system cleaner for the Mac. I run from time to time when my machine is starting to feel sluggish... Also there is Applejack that I have also used and have brought some of the pep that my MB & MBP once had.
08-31-2011, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #26
A-z
Forum Member

FWIW, I'm running Leopard with 4gb ram. I use CS5 and Aperture simultaneously and I don't notice any performance slow-down unless I've got multiple images with many layers on the go at once.
09-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
...Every Mac you buy from Apple right now will have Snow Leopard preinstalled. New Macs come with a redemption code for Lion. Don't upgrade to Lion right away if you plan on running CS4 or CS5.
Yeah stay away from Lion till around update .4 or .5... they usually have all the minor issues corrected by that rev and other developers usually are Lion compatible...
Nope, I'm never in a hurry to upgrade, and I wait till the bugs are worked out. Thanks for confirming my supposition about Lion.

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm curious about the performance problems you're having now. ...What operations are causing you sufficient delays to want to replace your computer?
If I work on PP with full sized JPGs or RAW files for more than a couple of operations, the processor becomes hot and the fan spins up to 3500-4000 rpms. This is a common problem if there's an out of control process, too, as well as when trying to "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility (this last has something to do with the way the OS was designed -- dont' ask me more on that as I just don't understand it). A haywire processor-fan seems to be something that happens to some of the MacBooks, if my google searches are any indication.

Look for an app called Cocktail... it is a system cleaner for the Mac. I run from time to time when my machine is starting to feel sluggish... Also there is Applejack that I have also used and have brought some of the pep that my MB & MBP once had.
Thanks for this tip. I use Main Menu to keep things in order and have never heard of Cocktail or Applejack.

QuoteOriginally posted by A-z Quote
FWIW, I'm running Leopard with 4gb ram. I use CS5 and Aperture simultaneously and I don't notice any performance slow-down unless I've got multiple images with many layers on the go at once.
The smaller quantity of RAM my computer has might well be the main problem.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!
09-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #28
Banned

Don't upgrade to Lion right away if you plan on running CS4 or CS5.
why not? I’m running cs5 on my 2009 pro under lion with no problems.
09-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why not? I’m running cs5 on my 2009 pro under lion with no problems.
Known Issues | Adobe products on Mac OS 10.7 Lion
09-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #30

I'm not sure if this is the proper spot on the forum to post this, but it seems the best place.

I use a 2009-purchased 13.3" MacBook G5 with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and max memory for this machine, which is 2 GB, running OS X Leopard. Because this computer can't cope with heavy demands on the processor, I'm beginning to consider a new laptop, probably one I'll purchase later this year or early next year. So I'm asking for advice from folks who have some experience with and knowledge about what's available.

Requirements: I want to stick with Mac. My work is all Mac-based and I like its interface. I need something which will not be overpowered by PhotoShop CS, though I'll be starting out with Elements. (I use lightweight PP software now - GraphicConverter and Gimp.) I'm on a tight budget, so I'd like to stay below $1500 if possible. And it has to be a laptop, since I go on the road enough that I need the portability.

I'm thinking about one of the smaller-display MacBook Pros. Thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks!
Eh? There's no such thing as a G5 Macbook. Go to 'about this mac'/more info/model identifier - it should say something like macbook4,1 or similar - i'm guessing macbook4,1 is yours:
MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (White-08) Specs (Early 2008, MB403LL/A, MacBook4,1, A1181, 2242) @ EveryMac.com
If so, Apple will support 4GB of RAM in it, but 6GB will work just fine.

The new Core i5/i7 CPUs are a pretty amazing generational leap in power vs the Core 2 Duos - while it rarely was worth upgrading the C2D to another just for processing performance, the current laptop i5/i7s are quite literally double or more of the processing power vs the fastest C2Ds released.

I'm not sure how much CS or GIMP actually use the GPU vs CPU, nor what specific editing you're doing most of - for $30-50 or so, you can up your RAM to 4gb or 6GB on your existing 9assuming i've got the model correct), and I'd expect it to give you a reasonable boost in performance - 2GB on an OSX machine is barely enough for the OS, Mail and a browser, IMO. Go with that and then wait for the next macbook refresh - it'll be around likely somewhere between November and February, then the current models will drop in pricing. You can also check for macbook refurbished to save a few $ while you're at it, or just pick up a used one preferably under Applecare from someone with upgrade-itis. I expect the next gen will be faster but only incrementally, not generationally like the c2d -> i* jump was, so it would be a good time to pick one up.

The current MBPs can go up to 16GB of RAM, although you do NOT want to know the pricing on 2x8GB SO-DIMMs...but 8GB will run around $65 or so, entirely reasonable (do not buy the RAM from Apple!!!)

Unless you have some really unusual/demanding requirements in the editing area, I'd confirm your model, increase the RAM cheaply, and then see if it's not 'enough' for you.