Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The difference among RAW processors

I did not think there would be a significant difference in the way different RAW conversion software would render noise. I was wrong. The 3 crops below all from the same raw file, ISO 2500, K7. The software: 1. Pentax 2. RAWTherapee 3. UFRAW Even more interesting (and subject of a future post) is the way Topaz denoise handles each of the conversions.
Which do you think looks better? Which do you think will be best after Topaz Denoise?

Last edited by Workingdog; 12-30-2011 at 06:33 AM.
08-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A little more info: In-camera noise reduction OFF. Noise reduction features of all 3 RAW converters set to zero or disabled.
08-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
Your results here are about the same as those I got when I tried these converters with default settings a couple of years ago. My conclusion was that the PDCU software works very well. But I've also seen some recent conversions using RAW Therapee that looked quite excellent - maybe it's a matter of tweaking the converter settings. PDCU is underrated though.
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 with previous post. PDCU works quite well, espcailly with the noise reduction sliders from version 4.3 (I believe).

I also use Noiseware and I feel personally that Noiseware give a nicer finishing touch than PDCU, but this is quite personal IMO.

08-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

NIK's define is great. No reason for me to look elsewhere but I haven't worked withe the others.
08-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I must repeat, the 3 conversions have absolutely no noise reduction whatsoever applied. I made sure I turned noise reduction off in all 3 conversion software. My observation is that the Pentax software produces a cleaner image even before any noise reduction.

So, why would the three software render the noise so much differently?
08-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
It seems that the different converters have different ideas about what to do when NR settings are set to zero.

The Pentax conversion clearly uses quite a bit of chroma noise reduction and some luminosity noise reduction as well.

If you really turned every kind of noise reduction off then that simply means that a "zero setting" does not guarantee that the Pentax converter will apply no noise reduction at all, in particular at such ISO levels.

As an analogy, a number of cameras will still apply NR to RAW data beyond a certain ISO level even when NR is "off".

08-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
It seems that the different converters have different ideas about what to do when NR settings are set to zero.

The Pentax conversion clearly uses quite a bit of chroma noise reduction and some luminosity noise reduction as well.

If you really turned every kind of noise reduction off then that simply means that a "zero setting" does not guarantee that the Pentax converter will apply no noise reduction at all, in particular at such ISO levels.

As an analogy, a number of cameras will still apply NR to RAW data beyond a certain ISO level even when NR is "off".

I would have to agree with you but never would have thought that it worked this way. Check out the part 2 thread after denoising.
08-28-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Because they use different demosaicing algorithms to produce the image. Different algorithms, different results.
08-29-2011, 03:04 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Because they use different demosaicing algorithms to produce the image.
Different demosaicing algorithms differ in the sharpness, spurious patterns and colour artifacts they produce. No way changing the demosaicing algorithm alone would explain this difference in noise levels.
08-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Any chance of posting the RAW file somewhere - I'd like to see how Silkypix compares ?
08-29-2011, 10:14 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Different demosaicing algorithms differ in the sharpness, spurious patterns and colour artifacts they produce. No way changing the demosaicing algorithm alone would explain this difference in noise levels.
Why not? Demosaicing can include some level of NR. You are not surprised about differences in spurious patterns and color artifacts but you find the different rendering of noise to be unexpected?
08-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Any chance of posting the RAW file somewhere - I'd like to see how Silkypix compares ?
Good idea - I must have at least 4 or 5 programs I could try.
08-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Good idea - I must have at least 4 or 5 programs I could try.

If both of you gentlemen send me a PM with an e-mail address, I will gladly send you the RAW file to play with. BTW, did you check out the post titled Part 2 to see how Topaz Denoise handles each of these conversions?
08-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Why not? Demosaicing can include some level of NR. You are not surprised about differences in spurious patterns and color artifacts but you find the different rendering of noise to be unexpected?
Demosaicing is the process of reconstructing colour information. The various algorithms all have to use interpolation but differ in what sensels to choose for interpolation, given a certain scenario.

The variations in the algorithms will cause variations in the aspects I listed. They won't impact significantly on noise. None of the papers I've read about demosaicing algorithms (AHD, etc.) mentioned integrated noise reduction. EDIT: I just searched and found a research paper that proposes to combine demosaicing and denoising. Not sure if this has been taken up yet, but in any event, the denoising part should be adjustable, i.e., it should be possible to reduce denoising to zero, should you wish to do so.

Note that I'm not talking about "...different rendering[s] of noise...". The sample images clearly show different levels of noise, not different renderings of noise.

Last edited by Class A; 08-29-2011 at 08:31 PM.