Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I just tried Topaz on an image and got what i think is exactly what i looked at on the screen.

I'm wondering whether what you are seeing is noise rather than introduced grain. Before Topaz, i tried a different image in Nik software and got a good deal of noise out of it. This image i tried with Topaz, was taken at iso 80, luckily, and after development there is no grain or noise apparent. So maybe thats it. (i'm not blaming the Nik software, that picture was taken at higher iso and extensive processing with such a picture will result in noise, generally)

Don't hesitate to contact Topaz, i'm sure they want to know about any bugs with the new program.

Good luck, Phil
Here's what I was referring to. Starting out with this already sketch-like lensbaby shot...

I applied some simple but extreme effects to it in Topaz B&W Effects- part of a screen shot:

However, when I click "OK" to save the result back to photoshop, I get this:

The image bears little resemblance to what was displayed in Topaz.

09-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've buy it... Some examples :

09-15-2011, 09:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Of course if you want the real thing - B&W and grain - then TrueGrain is the only way to go. They actually scanned the grain from about a dozen of film stocks and the program does a pretty good job adding it to your shots. Comparing the results to some of my old negs, the grain structure is spot on.

Some shots at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/158633-black-white-truegrain-black-white-conversions.html#post1646315.
09-15-2011, 11:30 AM   #19
Pentaxian

These look really nice, kh.

Another candidate is DxO FilmPack3, also based on scanned results from actual films - including the appropriate grain.

Meanwhile, some more examples from Topaz B&W - still not decided to buy it, though.

09-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I too bought the Topaz B&W last week. It is a plugin to my CS5, but have not really had a chance to dive into it yet.....I want to watch this thread to learn more......
09-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Of course if you want the real thing - B&W and grain - then TrueGrain is the only way to go. They actually scanned the grain from about a dozen of film stocks and the program does a pretty good job adding it to your shots. Comparing the results to some of my old negs, the grain structure is spot on.

Some shots at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/158633-black-white-truegrain-black-white-conversions.html#post1646315.
Topaz also used scans of actual film grain for their grain engine.
09-17-2011, 01:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I did buy the Topaz black and white plugin and the $29 introductory price. I've like the product so far. Good heads up about losing exif when using Topaz from Lightroom. I normally bring Topaz filters up through Photoshop and hadn't used them from Lightroom very often.

09-18-2011, 12:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Here's what I was referring to. Starting out with this already sketch-like lensbaby shot...

I applied some simple but extreme effects to it in Topaz B&W Effects- part of a screen shot:

However, when I click "OK" to save the result back to photoshop, I get this:

The image bears little resemblance to what was displayed in Topaz.
Well, now i'm getting what you described. Topaz isn't updating PSE after i use Topaz as a filter within PSE. If you've figured this one out, let me know, i thought it used to work.

Phil
09-21-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Well, now i'm getting what you described. Topaz isn't updating PSE after i use Topaz as a filter within PSE. If you've figured this one out, let me know, i thought it used to work.

Phil
Update on the problem reported above. I uninstalled Topaz BW Effects, downloaded and reinstalled a fresh file from Topaz, put my Key registration number in, and now its working fine.

I don't know how to use it straight from LR, have to work on that. I do like using it occasionally, its beginning to grow on me.

By the way, Topaz has a help email address that one can write to if they are experiencing problems, and they also operate a public forum for troubleshooting and use ideas. Pretty forward thinking software company.
09-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Update on the problem reported above. I uninstalled Topaz BW Effects, downloaded and reinstalled a fresh file from Topaz, put my Key registration number in, and now its working fine.

I don't know how to use it straight from LR, have to work on that. I do like using it occasionally, its beginning to grow on me.

By the way, Topaz has a help email address that one can write to if they are experiencing problems, and they also operate a public forum for troubleshooting and use ideas. Pretty forward thinking software company.
!!! Realy? I will try this immediately- thanks!

EDIT- I haven't figured out how to use it from LR, either.

EDIT again- Well, it's a no-go. I believe that the image we see in the app is only a representation of how an effect will appear @100% enlargement- but with a reduced-size full image for view (about 800 pxls). So when saved back to PS, the scale of the effects seen in the app are applied only at the 100% pixel level and not to the scale of the original image. When I view a section of a Topaz image @ 100% in PS, the effects look much like they did while in the app- er, if that makes any sense to you...
All this may only be important when using extreme effects. But check it out by opening a full size image file and applying, for instance, the "painterly" preset to it. For me, it certainly isn't WYSIWYG.

Last edited by shiner; 09-21-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: more copy
09-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #26

To use it straight in lightroom you need to download Topaz Fusion Express. After you install it, just look up the instructions on the Topaz Website to set it as a preferred editing app.
09-22-2011, 02:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pencilnink Quote
To use it straight in lightroom you need to download Topaz Fusion Express. After you install it, just look up the instructions on the Topaz Website to set it as a preferred editing app.
Thank you!

Just got a Topaz email saying that there is a free upgrade to BW Effects to correct reported bugs and add some new features like redo, etc. Nice that they are on the ball with this software
09-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Topaz has extended the $30 discount to Oct. 3. Just use the code "bwandbeyond".
09-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pencilnink Quote
The only problem i had with Topaz Fusion Express is finding the executable for BW effects. It is stored under Programs 86 - Commons - Topaz instead of going direct to Topaz folder.

Its finally all working and i'm now wondering if Topaz fusion could be used to run other photoshop "plug-ins" direct from LR.

BW Ver 1.1 still has the problem of wiping the exif data if you go thru fusion. not sure if that is a topaz fusion problem or a Topaz BW problem. It does not occur when i go to Topaz BW via Photoshop elements which makes me think its a fusion problem.

Anyway, i quite like Topaz BW and i'm sure they will eventually fix the exif data problem.
09-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Well, the 1.1 update did not fix the problem that I have with it. Perhaps the saved image isn't supposed to look very close to what you see within in the app. Works the same on both my PCs.