Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thought on the Topaz B&W Plugin

I started using Lightroom aout 3 or 4 months ago (after reading the "DAM Book" recommende by you guys ) and absolutely love it.

Have played around with B&W a little bit, and was curious to your thoughts on these B&W plugins in general (I think there are others than the Topaz) and the Topaz plugin in particular?

Thanks!

09-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

One thing to watch out for is the fact that Topaz doesn't play nice with Lightroom - you export your image via the "Topaz Fusion" plugin and it ends up in the Topaz filter software that you chose. However, in doing so, it strips all the exif info. Great.. :/
09-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doesn't that only apply to lightroom 2?
09-01-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HenrikDK Quote
I started using Lightroom aout 3 or 4 months ago (after reading the "DAM Book" recommende by you guys ) and absolutely love it.

Have played around with B&W a little bit, and was curious to your thoughts on these B&W plugins in general (I think there are others than the Topaz) and the Topaz plugin in particular?

Thanks!
Another LR plug in is called: Silver Efex Pro ver2 by Nek software. I downloaded their 14 day trial version of it. They had a range of presets that had a nice range of slightly different monocolors, but their locallized brush method seemed to me more cumbersome than LR3. I wasn't able to examing the qualitative differences in images produced by Silver Efex compared to LR3 itself. The cumbersome local effects put me off so i didn't proceed with trying it further.

The Topaz seems to have similar functionality to Silver Efex and LR. I think i'll wait to see if reviews show something compelling about the software. Topaz Denoise and some of their other programs have had good reps.

09-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Doesn't that only apply to lightroom 2?
I have been using their Denosie Software 30-day trial and when creating a tiff it strips the exif - have not tried editing the original in place or a different format though. I am using 64bit Lightroon 3.4.1.
09-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
I have been using their Denosie Software 30-day trial and when creating a tiff it strips the exif - have not tried editing the original in place or a different format though. I am using 64bit Lightroon 3.4.1.
I think Adam is right, in LR3, if you go to the Edit menu, then Catalog settings, then Metadata option, then check the box that says to include Exif data in any jpegs, TIFF and PSD files. I don't seem to be losing the exif data when i send it out to Denoise.
09-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I think Adam is right, in LR3, if you go to the Edit menu, then Catalog settings, then Metadata option, then check the box that says to include Exif data in any jpegs, TIFF and PSD files. I don't seem to be losing the exif data when i send it out to Denoise.
RTFM ??? WTF ???? Thanks for the tips guys

Edit: It was set to that as default. In reading some of Topaz Forums it appears to be an issue with fusion interface and lightroom - it iwll maintain the exif is used as a true plug in (I,E. Photopshop , etc) . "they" are aware and hope to have it fixed in the next version. Are you using Lightroom III and Denosie as an external editor within Lightroom or using Denoise as a standalone program ?

Edit2 - there is no standalone version ummm anyway all I can tell you is it strips my exif (Denosie)

With regards to the OP - I have been looking at the BW plugin it's a good price for sure.

Last edited by daacon; 09-01-2011 at 11:43 AM.
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #8

These recent threads may be of help.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1511...nversions.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1413...-software.html
09-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Just a confirmation that exif data is stripped. No info on aperture, shutterspeed, focal length, iso.
Keywords however, are present.
I'm running a trial for B&W Effects in LR3. (W7 64bit).

Nice set of presets.
However, I don't like that a tiff has to be created for each photo sent to the plug-in.

First example:

09-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Bart - from what I have read it is an issue with the tfussion that acts as an interface for Lightroom III. It does not strip anything using Photoshop where it acts as a filter. I assume it will be addressed in some future version of that product (which is free).

I purchased it as it the price is pretty good. Like you said I also don't like the fact that it requires a tiff but I can live with that. It does have a nice set of preset. I just posted a processed picture in the Post Your Photo's https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/157778-landscape-bw-landscape.html. I thibk the discounted price is good for a couple more weeks. For me it will be worth it as I am going to be heading to the mountains soon and if there are no fall colors - I imagine a lot of bw conversion will be done
09-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I downloaded the Topaz Lab's B&W program yesterday and played with it for a while. Up until now I've been using Nik's software, but thought the Topaz Labs b&w program a little more versatile (or maybe I instinctively understood how to get what I wanted out of it). There are some features that Nik's software has that I really like and will most likely use both for a while. I've also used LR and CS4's b&w adjustment layer, all get the job done.

I would also be interested in what others who've tried both programs think.
09-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Just started using this plugin in CS5- haven't tried it in LR3 yet. Watched the tutorial and have been messing with, but I have a problem. After extensive alterations, and clicking "OK", the image displayed in PS looks very little like the image I was looking at in Topaz B&W. Film grain is introduced, apparently, even though it is NOT checked.

EDIT: any ideas??

Last edited by shiner; 09-13-2011 at 02:11 AM.
09-13-2011, 01:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
I downloaded the Topaz Lab's B&W program yesterday and played with it for a while. Up until now I've been using Nik's software, but thought the Topaz Labs b&w program a little more versatile (or maybe I instinctively understood how to get what I wanted out of it). There are some features that Nik's software has that I really like and will most likely use both for a while. I've also used LR and CS4's b&w adjustment layer, all get the job done.

I would also be interested in what others who've tried both programs think.
I normally use LR with Elements. With all the hype about Nik's BW, i tried its 14 day trial and was disappointed with it. Then hearing about Topaz from daacon's recent work, i tried a trial with it. And at the $29 startup price, i bought it. I was impressed by its "adaptive exposure" function and also its ability to place the center of vignetting effects anywhere in the frame. So i use the Topaz plugin from Elements - have to try the free fusion software, but so far no problems as a plugin.

I'm not sure that i gave Nik's BW software a fair trial since it was the first of its type that i tried. I'll have to check whether they'll give me a second trial version.

Last edited by philbaum; 09-13-2011 at 08:35 AM.
09-13-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shiner Quote
Just started using this plugin in CS5- haven't tried it in LR3 yet. Watched the tutorial and have been messing with, but I have a problem. After extensive alterations, and clicking "OK", the image displayed in PS looks very little like the image I was looking at in Topaz B&W. Film grain is introduced, apparently, even though it is NOT checked.

EDIT: any ideas??
I just tried Topaz on an image and got what i think is exactly what i looked at on the screen.

I'm wondering whether what you are seeing is noise rather than introduced grain. Before Topaz, i tried a different image in Nik software and got a good deal of noise out of it. This image i tried with Topaz, was taken at iso 80, luckily, and after development there is no grain or noise apparent. So maybe thats it. (i'm not blaming the Nik software, that picture was taken at higher iso and extensive processing with such a picture will result in noise, generally)

Don't hesitate to contact Topaz, i'm sure they want to know about any bugs with the new program.

Good luck, Phil
09-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After reading the comments here about the exif information being stripped, I went back and looked at the one b&w I did from lightroom - sure enough, the exif information was stripped out. I rarely use the Topaz Lab products from LR, normally if I'm going to do them I do it in Photoshop (on a separate layer). Thanks for the heads up on that, I hadn't noticed.