Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Printing from a RAW file - Aperture 3 user.....

I've got a team photo I took of my daughter's soccer team that the coach would like to have made into a poster. Not knowing what he wanted it for, he asked if I would give him a copy on his flash drive. I did a simple drag and drop from Aperture, which converted it to JPG and gave him a file of about 550 KB's. When he tried to turn it into a poster it obviously didn't work too well, so he asked me if I had a file with more resolution. Since I hadn't tried anything like this before, I started messing around with some of the menu items, and I noticed that if I exported the Master from Aperture to a flash drive it copies over as a 9 MB+ file. That seems great - except I see that it's a PEF file, so I assume when he takes it to get printed, they won't be able to open/read it.

1) Is my assumption probably correct?

2) If the answer to #1 is yes, is there a way to get him a "better" file than the 550 KB JPG it converts to when I drag and drop it?

Since I always shoot in RAW - so I have all the data there - it seems like there should be some kind of way to get a better resolution file for sharing, printing, etc.....

Thanks in advance for any advice/help you can provide,

Tim

09-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Have you tried PDCU? In PDCU, you can read a RAW file and save it as a JPEG file. During the 'save as', you can select the resolution and quality of the JPEG file.

For example, on my K-7, I save as 14Mp (*) and each file is about 1.5 Mb compared to about 2.2 Mb for 14 Mp (**).

My 5 cents comments....
09-03-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Use Export Version (Cmnd-Shift E). From Export Preset choose JPEG-Original Size. The JPEG should be several Megabytes.
09-03-2011, 07:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Use Export Version (Cmnd-Shift E). From Export Preset choose JPEG-Original Size. The JPEG should be several Megabytes.
I must be doing something wrong - although I don't know what, as it's pretty simple - but I just tried a different file, and when following the above instructions I get a 70 KB file on the flash drive. For comparison, I then just tried the simple drag and drop, and it went on the flash drive as a 782 KB file?!?!?!

09-04-2011, 04:42 AM   #5
Forum Member

Not a quick fix, as I've never really used Aperture, but I would suggest downloading a trial version of lightroom3 and then exporting the file as a JPEG with 100% quality. Typically the file size will be between 7-9mb. That's the only way I've ever done it.
09-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Lets try something different then. From the Photo menu select Set JPEG as Master, or right click on the photo and select Set JPEG as Master. Then use Export Master.
09-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
Forum Member

Why would you download Lightroom when he already has Aperture?

Paul

09-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Forum Member

Tim

If you export it to email as original size you should get a jpeg file around 2.5 meg. You can also export it as a Tiff or a PSD file. An exported Tiff file will be about 80+ meg. The PSD file will be a similar size.

Paul
09-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the suggestions/help.
As an FYI, I exported as a (huge) TIFF file to my flash drive and had them print from that - and it turned out very nice!

Thanks again,

Tim