Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I have installed the demo version and used it to run through some of my photos in liu of testing out my printer so I did some PP on some pics that I had no touched and found that it was pretty good. The only thing that I like about PS3 is that I can do actions where as in LR I think I dont have that option.

So, for my original question, my answer is moving towards YES. I am going to do a lightbox photoshoot this weekend so the results from that will def give me an idea of wether or not I can develop a nice workflow with it.

12-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
The only thing that I like about PS3 is that I can do actions where as in LR I think I dont have that option.
I'm not too familiar with CS3. I should be, but i'm not. What are Actions?
12-08-2007, 12:10 AM   #18
PDL
Pentaxian

I do have a minor issue with recommending software to people. The issue is that I have worked out a somewhat personal workflow, that the different types of software I have support to a certain extent.

I do not have CS2-3, I have Elements 5.0 but I removed that POS from my machine very quickly. I was using MS-Digital Image Suite - but they discontinued it this year - just after the release of Vista and WIC - what a waste.

I do have LR and it is well worth the effort, but I have really been torn between going the Adobe route or looking to some other system. I got LR at the el-cheapo route (used the beta and actually sent in some bitches - not all solved but getting there) but it still does not have all the extra stuff (lots of filters, layers, HDR capabilities) that other software seems to have.

That said, I do think that LR is another tool for photographers to consider. I am firmly in the group of people who choose the tool for the job - not force the job to the tool. There are plenty of DAM, Editing, fixing, manipulating etc. software suites out there. Adobe is not the only choice, but of the Photoshop series of tools LR is the one that I am willing admit to liking and using. I use LR and have no issues with suggesting that others give it a run for the money, however as to having it as the 'only' tool --- no you will need something else to work the edges of your craft.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-08-2007, 06:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jshurak Quote
I'm not too familiar with CS3. I should be, but i'm not. What are Actions?
Actions were available before CS3. They are a set of commands you want PS to make on an image, hence Actions. Tehy're like a batch file.

12-08-2007, 06:58 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, say there is a routine that you go through everytime you pull images off of your camera. Lets say you resize it, then crop it, then change the DPI on it, then do an unsharp mask. I can write an action that will do each part of that for me or all of it in one sequence.

How it works is you do it once to one photo and set up PS to record your 'actions' and then save it. Then you can run that saved action against any other file. Pretty handy feature.
12-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

as in all things buddha....it's what your comfortable with......however exploring the free trial wouldn't hurt.....also note that any adjustments to jpegs in LR are non-destructive.......good luck
12-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, say there is a routine that you go through everytime you pull images off of your camera. Lets say you resize it, then crop it, then change the DPI on it, then do an unsharp mask. I can write an action that will do each part of that for me or all of it in one sequence.
How it works is you do it once to one photo and set up PS to record your 'actions' and then save it. Then you can run that saved action against any other file. Pretty handy feature.
Yep, Lightroom calls them "presets". You can apply their presets to a shot or make your own from a sequece of steps, which become available to be applied to other pics from a number of locations. You can apply it one @ a time in the Library or Development mode, or to a set of images in Library mode. To creat sets, you can tag &/or color code and filter, and/or create collections, to easily create different sets/sub-sets, and apply different 'workflow' steps' to them; for example I had presets for Elephants and different ones for Zebras and different ones for every amimal type, with two or three of each depending on the exposure or contrast level of the original picture. It [LR] really is made for everything but heavy duty selective/layered image processing. Soupa Duopa Kewl... For that, you already know what to do.

12-09-2007, 06:08 AM   #23
Veteran Member

That's what I thought they were. As m8o said, Lightroom handles those through presets.