Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say check out sendspace. It's what I use when I want to send zips of files to people and I can control when the link is no longer available too.

09-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use picasa

$5 per year for 20g. I shoot multiple soccer games and band events weekly anyone can have access via the link i send out.
09-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I'm not sure this would apply as much to hockey as many other sports (due to the players often being unrecognizable), but in general you might want to careful about posting pictures of other people's kids on the web with unrestricted access, due to liability. Schools, for example, generally can't post pictures where kids are recognizable, without written permission, and that means group pictures often can't be posted without some PP.

Paul
09-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I'm not sure this would apply as much to hockey as many other sports (due to the players often being unrecognizable), but in general you might want to careful about posting pictures of other people's kids on the web with unrestricted access, due to liability. Schools, for example, generally can't post pictures where kids are recognizable, without written permission, and that means group pictures often can't be posted without some PP.

Paul
I've looked into that. Our association is OK with it, as we have all the kids parents sign a release. I've also decided to go with Smugmug- it allows me to password protect the albums thereby protecting the kids photo's from the public, it's only $40per year, and it is extremely user friendly. Gotta love user friendly

09-20-2011, 04:02 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote

Paul
That's why I like the idea of dropbox

You have to invite people to share the space

The other thing that is nice is that once set up, it automatically kes everyone's. Folders in sync

I have also used an FTP setup, but that seems to be a lot more pain to set up
11-23-2011, 06:56 PM   #21

Dropbox is the best. It's super easy. You just put the pictures you want to share in a folder and you're done. Plus the file size isn't an issue. I use it to share pics with family all over the world.

Here, use this link to sign up and you'll get an extra 250 MB in storage free!
http://db.tt/w7eyfFN6
11-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I subscribe to Smugmug and do exactly that for my son's soccer pics.

Upload full-size JPGs for download through an unlisted gallery that doesn't show up in my published albums; nice thing is you can specify full-size downloads for those private pics and reduced size pics for your main albums.

11-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I m surprised not to see mentions of Zenfolio. Easily better than a Flickr pro account in terms of allowing you to set up passwords protection and so forth, better than dropbox for this purpose in that it is specifically up to work as a photo gallery rather than a general purpose file hosting site. It's kind of a coin toss between Zenfolio and Smugmug, with just little nitpicky differences between them, but anyone considering one shold certainly also be looking at the other to see if those small differences might push him one way or the other.
11-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwar Quote
$5 per year for 20g. I shoot multiple soccer games and band events weekly anyone can have access via the link i send out.
That's what I use (21 GB total: 1 GB free + 20GB for $5 USD a year) for kids soccer & now for the downloading of original versions of event photos, smaller versions of which I include in the slide-show section of video event DVDs I sell - see the KID 2011 album below. I upload these at 1500x1000 using "Original Size". This way my sharpening is optimum for this size and they don't get resized/recompressed during upload. Anyone can download the originals:

https://picasaweb.google.com/110304554160411023759

I could upload larger versions (check out GooglePlus) but I want to keep the storage space used under control.

http://9to5google.com/2011/07/01/picasas-storage-limits-thanks-to-google/

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 11-25-2011 at 01:23 AM.
11-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I think an online gallery is the best way to share images. This allows whoever wants to download to be selective, whereas if you instead rely on ftp or other *file*sharing methods, then people are pretty much forced to download more than what they really would be interested in, in many cases.

Some gallery sites make the downloading process easier than others. I've settled on Smugmug. It costs but I found it to be most intuitive (of the sites I tried/looked at). Also, no space restrictions. I'm so pleased with it that made a second account. One for 3d renderings and recently one for photographs. The account with 3d renderings is most populated for now. 750 renderings taking up 2.5GB (16 bit tiff's. Smugmug doesn't care and I can't be bothered to take an extra step to create web versions )
11-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I use smugmug as well, it's great for the purpose you mentioned and it has lots of different options to share images.

Another good thing is that the parents could order prints directly from smugmug and get them mailed. You wouldn't get any profits from that unless you have the full on Pro account. But it's an option for them if they want great quality print and they don't have a printer etc...

Not to mention it's very easy to use.
11-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Usually when having to send photos to magazines, they do provide an FTP server which is the simplest and fastest way.

But when I attend an event as official photographer, the organizer wants the photos quickly, no way to send them on CD and most organizers do not feature an FTP-Server for that. In this case, Dropbox served me really well. I simply make a password protected ZIP file containing all the photos, deposit it in the Public folder of Dropbox and send the link to the organizer.

When shooting regularly for the same organizer, I finally brought them to install dropbox in order to share a folder.

I can really recommend dropbox, have a read at How Dropbox eases the way to exchange files | IMPress

I did try to also use zenfolio, which works great with english speaking "customers". But for people with basic english knowledge, going through the english ordering process of zenfolio is too complicated.
11-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've gotten to using drop box even for transferring data between computers or iPod and computers. Works great
12-08-2011, 02:41 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I use dropbox for a lot of file sharing, but when it comes to photos, I still rely on Smugmug.

It allows people to see what they are getting easily without having to download it all. The tagging features (which you'd have on other sites like Flickr, Picassa, Zenfolio, etc) are great for people to track down all photos of a certain subject. In the OP's case, a mother could click on their kids name in one picture and find their kids picture for all the games, not just one gallery.

The autogallery (I'm not sure exactly what is called) is great, too.

Last, Smugmug is great for allowing people to order prints, etc without forcing people to be members of the site. I was using Flickr pro, but my family was hesitant to ever use it much because when they wanted to buy prints, they were forced to join Flickr. Just as it is nice to have people be able to get original sized images, it is also nice for people to have access to easily buying prints.
12-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Picasa for jpegs and for large files like raw, dropbox.