Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #1

Sharing full size photo's

Any input would be appreciated....I take action shots of my kids hockey and soccer teams.(3 teams, 15 kids each...lots of pics) To give other parents photo's of their kids, I used to name tag each pic and send it them via email. This got to be extraordinarily time consuming( they all look the same in hockey gear!). Next, I tried to send the photo's in bulk to all parents. This overloaded certain email accounts. This became a pain very quickly. So, what I'm wondering is....Is there an easy web program (i.e. flickr ,smugmug, etc...) that will let me load all the photo's onto the web as projects(all photo's from one game in one set), and let the parents go to that site, and download the ones that they want? Preferably full size files so that they can print them if they want. I don't want to charge the parents for them, I just want them to get shots of their kids without making a ton of work for me. I would like to password protect the photo's, so that not anyone on the web can download them. So.....any suggestions?

09-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would create a seperate flickr account for it and load them all there and let the parents find their kids and DL the pics.
09-18-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you considered either an FTP site or a file storage site like dropbox?

I used an FTP site to share and collect all the photos from a team spread across Canada that did a habitat for humanity build last year, and have been using dropbox to share data with I work with.

Drop box allows a free account with 2 gig space, but gives you " reward space for each person that you invite to share the photos". If you are sharing to a group of 15 you would have enough space for a lot of rule resolution jpegs
09-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
picasa (from google) is quite good and answer to your request :

You open Picasa on your computer,
you select the files you want to upload on the web,
then the program will ask you some e-mail adress you want to share the pics with,
you choose the size (1024, 1600 or original size),
Then press Ok.

All Raw picture will be converted into Jpeg picture,
Each picture can be downloaded individually.

Every person that will have the link to the album will be able to see it,
or you can restrict it to few people.

09-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use Photobucket for things like posting pictures here on the forum, etc. It works well.
09-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'll look into those. Thx.
09-18-2011, 05:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chex Quote
I would create a seperate flickr account for it and load them all there and let the parents find their kids and DL the pics.
So with Flickr, do all the parents have to have flickr accounts if they want to download?

09-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #8

Original Poster
I've come to realize that the file sizes are going to be restricting me. If I want to load full size files, one game set could take up as much as 1GB. (which is file limit on a lot of sites) I'll keep looking though.
09-18-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need to seripusly look into dropbox

it has a free directory limit of 2GB, and has "bonus" free 250MB awards for each new person who downloiads the software logs on when you invite them.

As I said, if you start with one set of photos, and then invite the entire team, you will get another 3-4GB free space as bonus, and have a 5-6GB limit for free.

if you put the photos there, you have 6 weeks storage, and then you just erase and permenantly delete the photos from the drop box folder, and use the space for the next week.

It is pretty simple.

There are other similar free spaces available. the only trick is that if they are all like dropbox, you have to not only delete the files but perminantly delete them to get back the space.
09-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
You need to seripusly look into dropbox

it has a free directory limit of 2GB, and has "bonus" free 250MB awards for each new person who downloiads the software logs on when you invite them.

As I said, if you start with one set of photos, and then invite the entire team, you will get another 3-4GB free space as bonus, and have a 5-6GB limit for free.

if you put the photos there, you have 6 weeks storage, and then you just erase and permenantly delete the photos from the drop box folder, and use the space for the next week.

It is pretty simple.

There are other similar free spaces available. the only trick is that if they are all like dropbox, you have to not only delete the files but perminantly delete them to get back the space.
Dropbox looks pretty good. I'm going to give that a shot, and see how it works with some "test" people. Thanks for the tip.
09-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you need a Flickr pro account. No upload limits & full-size images.
09-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #12

Original Poster
I've been playing with a few sites...and testing people to see how user friendly it is. I'm trying Flickr, Smugmug (leaning towards this one) and Dropbox. Thanks for the ideas everyone
09-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Checkout Pogoplug - free software and "unlimited space" (hosted from your hard drive). Just make sure to set the security settings up once installed.
09-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
So with Flickr, do all the parents have to have flickr accounts if they want to download?
Nope, anyone can view them, just need the link or posters account name to track it down.
09-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I took hundreds of pictures of my daughters crew team (rowing) when she was in college. I uploaded my shots to Picasa where the kids and parents could download a shot if they wanted to. Easy for me, easy for them. I generally don't upload full sized photos. If you want to send full sized photos, then Dropbox is a good choice.