Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Resizing for magazine publication.

I should explain that I'm new to digital using the fabulous K-5, having previously used slide film. I've had a request to supply some pictures to a magazine for publishing, requesting jpegs of 2 megabytes via email.
I'm using Photoshop Elements 9 and processing the raw image. My question is, to reduce the picture to 2 megabytes do I reduce the resolution or do I leave the resolution at 300 and reduce the size of the picture. Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.

David, Guildford, UK.

09-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pictures for publication need to be 300dpi - or 240 at least, so I'd reduce the image size. Or compress the jpg more - it depends on how large they need the image to be.

Might be worth calling them to ask?
09-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Absolutely ask the magazine. They typically have specific guidelines. I wouldn't worry too much about dpi, unless specially told to do so, just the finished image dimensions. DPI can be ignored or changed quickly at the end if it doesn't match. Don't save at a jpeg quality higher than 9. File sizes quickly balloon above that for very little extra quality.