Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2011, 01:15 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
simico and rubin110, what version of Windows are you using to copy files from? I'm using XP Professional, SP3, 32-bit
I'm using the same, 32 bit XP Prof SP3. I'll check the winsxs folder for gdiplus and fiddle with it.
Do you use Gnome or KDE? Window compositioning (or what the hell it's called) enabled? I use KDE 4.whatever with comp. enabled (though I disabled window decoration in winecfg), will try under Gnome to see if that makes any difference. Unfortunately I don't have much time for this...

10-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, good questions. I'm using pretty much standard off-the-shelf Ubuntu 11.04, which means Unity desktop on top of Gnome, with Compiz for compositing.

I'm having some problems myself -- the "can't delete files via Lightroom" issue I mentioned upthread has returned, and I know I wasn't manually fiddling with DLL's this time. I think it has something to do with Wine 1.3.31 getting installed and changing something in my .wine directory, perhaps one of the file versions I had previously overridden manually.

I'll see if winetricks can resolve it -- I processed 400+ photos last night, and "can't delete" is a problem I can live with in the short term. I sure would like to delete my OOF's and badly-missed shots, though!

I'll have to lay off the bleeding-edge automatic Wine updates. Fortunately, I have a fairly recent backup of my .wine directory, if all else fails.

Did I ever say anything about this being easy?
12-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, it was fun while it lasted, but I'm giving up on this experiment.

A couple of reasons:

The Lightroom graphical glitches under Wine are annoying. Fiddling with sensor dust spots makes me grouchy under the best circumstances, and having to do it without visual feedback is even worse.

Every time Wine gets upgraded -- and that's often, because I had been using a latest-release repository to see if the graphical problems ever got fixed -- I lose the ability to delete files from within Lightroom. So I can't delete rejected files without doing it manually in the filesystem. A wine prefix and LR delete/reinstall fixes this, but that's pretty tedious to do every couple of weeks.

But most importantly, Lightroom 3 works GREAT in VMware Player. All along, I had been trying to use LR in Windows XP, which is the last version of Windows I actually own a license to. I had attempted virtualization under kvm and Sun/Oracle VirtualBox. I even had hacked OS X Snow Leopard running under VirtualBox for a while, and tried Lightroom there. All results were unsatisfactory.

So I got the idea to try it using the publically-available Windows 8 Developer Preview. And I hadn't tried VMware before.

WOW, what an improvement! I don't know whether to attribute it to VMware or to Windows 8 (actually, all versions following XP) using 3D-accelerated rendering for the UI, which is supported by VMware. But either way, the graphics are smooth, and the program is responsive. I just wanted to be able to navigate, zoom, pan, and adjust sliders without waiting around for laggy results, and that requirement is now met.

The only downside, so far, is that sharing files between the Linux host and the Windows guest seems a little bit slow, though I haven't actually benchmarked it. There's probably room for optimization here, but for now, I keep my raw and XMP files on the host filesystem, and Lightroom's catalog database lives in the VM. This feels a little slower than the all-Wine version, but not bad. Certainly much faster than prior virtualization attempts.

I guess I'm going to have to shell out for a Windows license upgrade, darnit. But this Developer Preview doesn't expire until March 2012, so I'll probably wait and use-test it for a while yet.

One hint for anyone else who wants to try this: if you install the 64-bit version of Windows 8 Developer Preview (as I did), DON'T install 64-bit Lightroom. It's crashy, and the Internets say that's a known problem in native LR3/Win8x64 installs, not just virtualized. 32-bit Lightroom works fine in that environment, so install that instead.

And finally, since I enjoy disclaimers: I don't recommend using Windows 8 Developer Preview for business-related activity -- it's pre-beta, probably full of bugs, and might cause data loss. Also, VMware Player is licensed only for non-commercial use, so keep that in mind. They'd be happy to sell more copies of VMware Workstation I'm sure.
12-18-2011, 06:46 AM   #19
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photoshop CS5 has a gold rating working in wine though. But, you need to have wine 1.3.33 or higher.

WineHQ - Adobe Photoshop CS5 (12.0)

Unfortunately CS3 doesn't run well on wine. That is the version I have. Still, I prefer digiKam any way.

12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #20

Hi Quicksand,

I'm not a Pentax user, but stumbled upon this discussion as I was looking for LightRoom alternatives myself. I registered here in the forum just so I could add a suggestion for your experiment that might be the missing piece you need.

About two months ago, when I tested Debian, for which Wine support is actually dead, after scouring the forums, I found a program called PlayOnLinux, that's perfect for what you need (multiple versions of the same dll side by side, etc.). It basically creates virtual copies of the wine environment for each program that you want to run.

I think this would be the way to go if you want to take up the experiment again.

Good luck and please keep me posted!

Alex
01-08-2012, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #21

Support official development of LR for Linux

Hi all,
I noticed that there is a feature request for supporting development of LR on Linux on official Adobe web site created. Currently, it has 33 votes, which puts it into top 20 feature requests. You can see complete ranking here.
So maybe if some of you can add another vote on this feature request, we can get more attention from Adobe and things can move forward - finally. Another positive is that some of Adobe developers are actually responding to forum messages of this feature request.
So please add your vote here and spread this information to all your friends.
01-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just read over at DPR that Bibble has been sold to Corel. Apparently they will be announcing at CES. I'm a Darktable user myself on Ubuntu 64 and I couldn't be happier.

Jack

01-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #23

Menubar problem fixed

Hi,

this could help Lightroom users under wine.

I solved the hidden menubar problem with Windows XP version. This is of interest because with the 'winetricks vista' tricks brings up many bugs, like dialogs not appearing and so on. Now it's possible to delete pictures with the complete dialog displayed (provided you did 'winetricks comctl32 gdiplus'). The patch against wine 1.3.35 is attached to this post.

Concerning the cursor problem with the heal/clone tool, just hit the ctrl key while dragging the cursor and you will see it! This makes the heal / clone tool usable.

Of course there are still many issues (and also some regression with versions >= 1.3.36) and I can't say that Lightroom under wine is ready for the masses ;-)

Best regards,
RB
Attached Files
File Type: zip getmenubarinfo.zip (1.3 KB, 68 views)
01-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Roland,

Thank you very much for registering here and posting that. Your post (and the surprisingly complex patch) piqued my curiosity, so I took a look at the wine-devel list and saw how you've been hammering on this issue for a while. Fantastic. I'll check in on that more regularly.

I hadn't made the connection between XP vs. Vista mode and the file deletion problem. That's interesting, and I'll test it on my system as soon as I have a chance. And if holding the Ctrl key helps enough with the spot heal/clone tool, perhaps I'll go back from my current VM solution to Wine.

Wine is much faster, and much less of a memory hog. I'll happily manually build from source until that bug is fixed.

I had noticed some changes in how the heal/clone cursor looks in recent Wine versions (1.3.36 and .37, I think), at least on my system -- it now drags around a full copy of the lower-right corner of the Lightroom window, and doesn't blink intermittently as it did before. Progress, I guess?

What are some of the regressions you have noticed?

Also, has anyone tried Lightroom 4 Beta under Wine? ;-)
01-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #25

Hi Quicksand,

thanks for your reply. Anyway, I was debtful to you because this is this thread I saw while googling that convinced me to try Lightroom with Wine.

Here are my answers below...

Have a nice day,
RB

> I had noticed some changes in how the heal/clone cursor looks in recent Wine versions (1.3.36 and .37, I think), at least on my system -- it now drags around a full copy of the lower-right corner of the Lightroom window, and doesn't blink intermittently as it did before. Progress, I guess?

> What are some of the regressions you have noticed?

You found the major regression I also found : this problem of graphic corruption is not seen on wine 1.3.35. Perhaps I have to fill a bug report on thi point. This is why my patch is only against Wine 1.3.35.

> Also, has anyone tried Lightroom 4 Beta under Wine? ;-)

Ye, I tried it and it doesn't work. It installs correctly but crashes when launched. I didn't investigate further since it's only a beta version but I guess it uses some functions that are not implemented in Wine.

01-30-2012, 11:23 PM   #26
Inactive Account

to those of you seeing grey boxes instead of the image previews...

i found that copying the srgb color profile file from /usr/share/color/icc
to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers/color/srgb color space profile.icm did the trick.
01-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #27

Yes, I confirm this tricks works.
I think you can also use winetricks colorprofile for the same purpose.
RB
02-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by screaminglucy Quote
to those of you seeing grey boxes instead of the image previews...

i found that copying the srgb color profile file from /usr/share/color/icc
to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/spool/drivers/color/srgb color space profile.icm did the trick.
Thanks! I tried again, copied these files over and now it works.
10-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just upgraded to Ubuntu 12.10 (with Wine 1.5.15), and thought I'd give Lightroom in Wine another shot.

Vast improvement! I'm still running LR 3.whatever because I haven't bothered to upgrade it in a long while.

BUT the clone/heal spot repair tool now renders correctly, as do all of the other tools (so far). It seems very usable.

I ought to give 4.x a try.
10-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #30

Nice news! I'll test this wine version ASAP.
Thanks for the info.
RB