Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the same as RayAllen described.

10-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #17

I use Adobe Lightroom. I like it fine. I need to start renaming my files though. They are all just the normal, stock names.
10-14-2011, 12:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

My computer has various card readers. I just pop the card in, navigate to the card (drive) in system and take them directly from the card to a folder in my computer. It's just a simple, matter of drag and drop. I do have a folder I keep all my photo in and I do use Adobe Bridge to navigate once I am done, but to actually get them on the computer I just take the simple route. I don't like Windows doing that for me or anything else.
10-14-2011, 08:51 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
I know there are plenty of ways to do this, but I was wondering what you guys would recommend. I've tried using Picasa, the Windows Utility, and lately, I've just been opening the folder on my camera (when you go to My Computer) and just dragging the pictures out.

Is there any difference in image quality that is affected by the method you use? Or is it just a matter of preference?

I'd mainly like a better way to be able to do batch transfers and being able to name the images.

Thanks in advance.
There can be a difference in apparent image quality depending on the program you use to display your files, not the method of transfer (card reader, vs. reading direct from camera, for example.) All programs will preserve the original jpeg or raw image file identically, but they may interpret it differently by applying different defaults for color, contrast, etc. So in that sense both the method of transfer and the program is a matter of personal preference.

You may have to clarify what you mean by "rename" the files, in terms of what type of batch transformation you're attempting.

Paul

10-14-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Card reader. Drag and drop with PDCU, or when that hangs, FreeCommander.
10-15-2011, 08:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'll mirror what others have said. I have a dedicated SD/SDHC/SDXC reader in my WinPC. Drag and Drop into appropriate folder, then sort/rate with Bridge. I'm not a fan of connecting the camera directly due to potential static discharge or voltage returning to the camera. I also format/delete images in camera, not via explorer.
10-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #22
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
My computer has various card readers. I just pop the card in, navigate to the card (drive) in system and take them directly from the card to a folder in my computer. It's just a simple, matter of drag and drop. I do have a folder I keep all my photo in and I do use Adobe Bridge to navigate once I am done, but to actually get them on the computer I just take the simple route. I don't like Windows doing that for me or anything else.
Ditto. Then I immediately burn a DVD for backup and store it somewhere else. The hard drive is also backed up automatically, so I have three copies of every photo.

10-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mojoe_24 Quote
I use Adobe Lightroom. I like it fine. I need to start renaming my files though. They are all just the normal, stock names.
use this, it's brilliant .....

Rename files with A.F.5
10-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I take my SD card out of the camera, insert it int oa card reader and then plug that into a USB port. Explorer opens up autmatically and I copy the files to a local folder on my Hard drive. Once I've confirmed that, I erase the pics on the card and plug it back into the camera.

I then use Lightroom.
10-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I take my SD card out of the camera, insert it int oa card reader and then plug that into a USB port. Explorer opens up autmatically and I copy the files to a local folder on my Hard drive. Once I've confirmed that, I erase the pics on the card and plug it back into the camera.

I then use Lightroom.
that right, user SD card reader to take picture to my laptop
10-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Ditto. Then I immediately burn a DVD for backup and store it somewhere else. The hard drive is also backed up automatically, so I have three copies of every photo.
I recently decided to start backing up my files. I usually copy all my photos over to my external hard drive once a month or so, but recently I got 50gb cloud storage from Box.net. I am using Gladinet to back up my files and then will use it to keep the cloud storage and my photo file in sync. The initial upload is taking 74 hours though. Yay for crappy upload speeds. I hadn't thought about using a DVD for a backup.

QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
I'll mirror what others have said. I have a dedicated SD/SDHC/SDXC reader in my WinPC. Drag and Drop into appropriate folder, then sort/rate with Bridge. I'm not a fan of connecting the camera directly due to potential static discharge or voltage returning to the camera. I also format/delete images in camera, not via explorer.
Is it that big of a problem (connecting directly to the camera)? I had planned on doing this because my card reader on my printer isn't working. Should I just buy an external card reader then?

Also, would you guys recommend using soemthing like Adobe Bridge alongside Lightroom? The only thing I really use Lightroom for is post processing. I don't really know what else it offers, lol.