Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2011, 05:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

It finally happened, my offsite backups save the day (I hope)...

As I was enjoying a holiday overseas "it" finally happened. Someone helped themselves to my iMac back at home after using the old crowbar to open the window trick. Bye bye photo library and onsite backups.

For some reason they only took the computer gear while my camera gear & lenses were untouched. There was a lot lot more $$ value in lenses than in the iMac that's for sure, but maybe they were a Canon shooter

Thankfully I have an offsite backup, I'm just hoping like crazy these drives will spin up OK and I wont lose anything.... once I get myself a new computer I'll find out. In the meantime I have a few thousand photos on SD cards waiting to get processed...

Anyway, thought it would be a timely reminder to anyone who only has onsite backups to think about storing at least your important stuff in the cloud or offsite somewhere.

Last edited by twitch; 09-25-2011 at 05:53 PM.
09-25-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm really sorry to hear about what happened, that's terrible. Hopefully the off-site backups will restore everything and all you'll be out is the iMac. Good luck!
09-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is terrible! I hope everything works out for you.
09-26-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Twitich. I enjoy your photography on this forum and I really hope you get everything back!

09-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I can only post what has already been said. I am really sorry to hear about this and I hope those off site files are there for you.

$hit like this makes one really angry. At least I know I feel that way when it happens to me.

May tomorrow be a better day.
09-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all, it's not all bad though, like I said they left over $3k of lenses behind.... and I get to buy a new computer

I'm taking delivery today of a new iMac 27" 3.1GHz quad core with 12GB of RAM. Take that Aperture 3!

Last edited by twitch; 09-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
09-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Good luck with recovering your photos! I really admire your work and hope all is well. You have a very good attitude about all of this, I must say.

09-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm also sorry to hear about your lost computer. That just plain sucks, even if they left the photo equipment. Congratulations on being sharp enough to have an offsite backup.
09-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
For some reason they only took the computer gear while my camera gear & lenses were untouched. There was a lot lot more $$ value in lenses than in the iMac that's for sure, but maybe they were a Canon shooter
Best wishes for a painless restore from your off-site backup. Whoever broke in probably wasn't a professional thief. They grabbed something they could either use or quickly resell. Camera equipment takes more work to resell than a computer, especially if you don't have photography experience.

Keep a close watch on your accounts if that stolen computer was ever used for online banking. Also, stored passwords or cached data might allow someone to hijack email and forum accounts; change all passwords. Keep watching accounts for the next few months for signs of identity theft.