Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

High Quality Photo Paper help needed

Hello all!

I come to you with a question regarding photo paper.

I have been using "Ilford Galerie Smooth High Gloss Media" photo paper for years to simulate fake displays on electronic devices. When you view the paper up close, you can see that it is as smooth as glass. Now, for an unknown reason, Ilford no longer produces this paper and trying to contact them has become impossible since nobody returns e-mails or answers phone calls. So I must move on and find a replacement. This is where the trouble starts since all the other papers I have tried have texture when inspected from close up. I have tried: Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy and Premium Photo Paper Glossy, Kodak Ultra Premium Photo Paper, and Inkpress Glossy and Pro Gloss paper.

If anybody has come across this issue or can contribute any information, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Links to Papers I have used:

Ideal:
Ilford Galerie Smooth High Gloss Paper - 8.5x11" 1127427

Trials:
Ilford 1980192 Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper (290 gsm) 13 1980192
Epson Ultra Premium Glossy Photo Paper - 8.5x11" S042175
Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper - 8.5x11" S042183 B&H
Kodak Ultra Premium Photo Paper (High Gloss) - 8366353 B&H Photo
Inkpress Pro Gloss Paper (330gsm) for Inkjet - PG851150 B&H

09-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Try Fuji gloss and Fujiflex supergloss. I have fuji gloss and there is absolutely no texture discernible by the human eye
09-27-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Awesome, I will try that and I also found Red River Paper on here so they are sending me a sample pack. Thanks! Updates to follow!
09-27-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by plmuzikmaster Quote
Hello all!

I come to you with a question regarding photo paper.

I have been using "Ilford Galerie Smooth High Gloss Media" photo paper for years to simulate fake displays on electronic devices. When you view the paper up close, you can see that it is as smooth as glass. Now, for an unknown reason, Ilford no longer produces this paper and trying to contact them has become impossible since nobody returns e-mails or answers phone calls. So I must move on and find a replacement. This is where the trouble starts since all the other papers I have tried have texture when inspected from close up. I have tried: Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Glossy and Premium Photo Paper Glossy, Kodak Ultra Premium Photo Paper, and Inkpress Glossy and Pro Gloss paper.

If anybody has come across this issue or can contribute any information, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
Looks like you could be a candidate for "Metallic Paper" with this sort of technical photography of yours. A number of manufacturers make them. I assume you use pigment inks? It is not much good for dye inks. You also need to create a printer profile for it. (But I assume you know all this) I have been using this paper with spectacular results for technical photography like cars, machinery and even architecture.

Greetings

10-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's the thing, we use dye inks. To be more specific, we have a Epson Stylus Photo 1400 Inkjet printer...
Also, I got a metallic sheet in the InkPress sample kit. I took a look at it and it still has texture and appears to not be as high gloss as the Ilford paper I am trying to replace.

Update on the Fuji and Red River Paper - all of them still have texture.

This isn't looking good but I cannot give up! Any additional ideas?