Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

noisy in one browser but not in another

In ACDsee Viewing some recent 1600 ISO images taken on the K20D they look fine. When I view them in faststone they're very noisy.
Which one's correct?
Here's two of the shots in question.

also, now that I've uploaded them here, on my screen neither looks particularly noisy but the first one's a lot redder - does that have something to do with the fact that I've not "saved for web"?

thanks for any help!

Attached Images

09-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Both look fine to me. Very good in fact. A reminder that the K20D is quite OK at 1600 ISO.

With fastone are you viewing them as JPGs, or as RAW (PEF or DNG)?

Remember when viewing some RAWs (eg with Fastone) you will most probably be viewing the small JPG preview the RAW file has embedded in it, rather than the processed RAW image itself. In contrast, when viewing images from within RAW processors like ACDSee, you may be actually viewing a processed RAW image.
09-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
thanks rawr

I'm viewing the jpeg from the orginal raw file that I opened, processed and saved as a jpeg. The only other info I can add to this is that the client also sees these as very noisy (how they look to me in faststone) but I'd never had any problems with the 1600s I was using from the K20D.

Plus I'm afraid this computer's starting to slowly die... don't know if memory issues could be a factor.

I think last month the client printed one or two that hadn't looked noisy to me but the print out looked pretty bad. after noiseware community edition everything was fine but I'm worried that we're not seeing the same thing...
09-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Both ACDSee and Fastone should handle color profiles decently, correct?
Its a guess but perhaps one is improperly handling the colorspace?
Do you have Firefox? It handles color accurately. See if that looks like Fastone.

Sorry, I've seen oddities with color for sure through different browsers. Just guessing these variances might exhibit noise contrast to a greater degree.
I would not trust Microsoft Internet Explorer for viewing images!!!!!!!!!!! What viewer is your client using?

09-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Do you have Firefox? It handles color accurately. See if that looks like Fastone.
You have to turn on colour awareness in Firefox. It's turned on by default in Safari.
09-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
You have to turn on colour awareness in Firefox. It's turned on by default in Safari.
Is that still true? Thought it was finally on by default in v5.0.
erg...
09-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
viewing in faststone, client in quark or similar

hi thanks guys/gals. it's clear, I'm also looking at an image I shot at 3200 on the k-5. in ACDsee it looks great, faststone very noisy. Firefox looks fine, including the image I posted here and it's also on my website where it seems fine too. I'm just worried that when it prints it'll be noisy. I think that's what happened last time. Client's using something like Quark or some other graphic design program...

Why would I only be able to trust faststone and not for example photoshop, where I actually processed the image?

09-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I just downloaded fast one and the images posted here look just fine.

Can you view them side by side via Photoshop and with Fastone, then take a screenshot of what you're seeing?
Otherwise there is likely no way for us to see what you're seeing.
If the photos posted here have been modified, maybe post a like to the originals or to files that do exhibit problems locally.
If the posted files do exhibit problems locally, either I don't see the same problem, or the site on which they are hosted modifies them. (some image hosting sites resize or re-copress images and that could affect the final image.)

Sorry. Wish I could reproduce and be more helpful.
The extra redness could definitely be due to color management problems. I'm just guessing it might also exaggerate noise if the colorspace conversion moves some pixels to duller or brighter colors than nearby pixels.

Do you have Color management turned on for Fastone? (Under the CMS panel under Settings).

I'd like to say trust Photoshop and ditch Fastone, but I know a lot of people love Fastone.
So I'm not going to be too quick to say it has a problem...