Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which to buy - PSP or PS elements 9

Hey Guys

Where do I start? I am relatively new to PP and was wondering where to go first. PSelements is about 130 and PSP is about 70. Is there even a comparison or what's the deal.

Most articles in magazines end up discussing PS elements or the full version so it is easy to follow along with the "tutorials" if you have the same software. Worthy of consideration for people new to PP I feel but....

Is it really worth spending the extra for PSelements? I have the silky pix, and GIMP, and I demo'd PS for a month so.....

Any thoughts on which to go with?

09-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
JHD
Veteran Member

I bought them both but haven't tried either. I also have LR but haven't opened it up either.

Some people say PSP is supposed to be almost as capable as PhotoShop. I bought it because it was on sale (same with PSE & LR).
09-30-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why would you buy a PlayStationPortable to edit photos
09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have PSP, now version X4,

It is quite powerful, but also has some areas where it lags behind.

Most specifically the areas lagging are in relation to lens correction, CA removal and distortion correction.

10-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have PSP, now version X4,

It is quite powerful, but also has some areas where it lags behind.

Most specifically the areas lagging are in relation to lens correction, CA removal and distortion correction.
Hey Lowell

So does PSP do layers and support HDR? I would like to try to work with these things as it seems that every article in Photo magazines deals with these topics.
Thanks for the tip.
10-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

PSP does layers and I believe the latest version does HDR (I'm using PSP X - no HDR). There are a ton of PSE tutorials that are easy to mimic in PSP.

Here is a Photoshop to PSP Dictionary.

And a bunch of other PSP resources.

Tim
10-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
PSP does layers and I believe the latest version does HDR (I'm using PSP X - no HDR). There are a ton of PSE tutorials that are easy to mimic in PSP.

Here is a Photoshop to PSP Dictionary.

And a bunch of other PSP resources.

Tim
Hey Tim

Thanks for the links. I'll have fun checking out the translations!!
I also found the new free trial version of PS10! I am trying to download it now and go play for a month. Then I'll bite the bullet and purchase something and stop looking fro a while.

Scott

10-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latest version is PSP x4 and does support HDR as well as layers

For me the biggest weakness is the CA correction. It is a fringe removal tool, but real CA correction rescales the layers to correct and it increases sharpness over fringe removal

For CA correction ps tax photo lab is much better
10-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #9

Download the trial demos for PSE and PSP X4 and decide what you like.
10-05-2011, 05:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks guys for the advice and links.

The free trial versions are pretty good. I'll try the PSE this month and then PSP next month. I had fun working with layers in PSE so far as it was new to me. I was even able to remove an unwanted kayaker from a landscape photo I took last summer and it would be hard to tell they were even there unless you magnified the photo a lot. THere are some neat tools available for that king of work.

Both programs sound very good and are likely more than I'll get into over the next couple of years but everynow and then I get a day at the cottage and have all day to just play on the laptop so.......hopefully the learning curve is steep and not flat or a heaven forbid a downhill slide!!
10-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use Photoshop modules in PSP...
10-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used PSP since version 6. I recently bought version 14 (X4) which is at Target stores in the USA for only $40. I don't know if you can find that pricing on PEI or elsewhere in Canada.

My typical workflow is neutral RAW conversion in Raw Therapee 3, then into PSP, using noise reduction with Topaz Denoise 5 Plugin, followed by typical adjustments.

The new HDR module in PSP is great in my opinion, but I'm no HDR expert. I can get very realistic looking HDRs using PSP alone.

I haven't tried RAW conversion in PSP, but supposedly that has been improved as well.

While it may not be as advanced as PSE, I don't think you can beat it on value for money.

As others have said, try the 30 day free trial. It's fully functional (until the time runs out), so you'll know if PSP is right for you.
10-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Elements 10 is out now, so you may be able to find v9 on sale. I think it cost me $59 (or $79?) after rebate a few months back. It does layers and opens K-5 PEFs. Easy to correct tilting photos :-)
10-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

PSP is very good at some things and very bad at others - I have PSP X and colour managed workflow was a bit of a nightmare compared to PSE and PS. However the version of PSE I have (a very old one) didn't have a channel mixer. There's a good PSP group on Flickr where you can find out the shortcomings of PSP:

Flickr: Corel Paint Shop Pro

There is probably an Elements group as well, but I never looked for it.

I started to save all my images in PSD format rather than PSPIMAGE, though when I moved to CS4 for my editing I found PSP had a handy batch convert that I used on the remaining PSPIMAGE files.

In the end I got CS4 as I wanted 16-bit functionality for all the processing (PSP X claimed it but didn't seem to support it for what I wanted to do), I wanted easier colour managed workflow, and CS4 brought along some new functionality that makes revising edits far easier. As I was a part-time student at the time I was able to get a student version - I also did that with Windows and Office.

Whatever you get, you need plenty of RAM in your PC and also plenty of HDD storage, plus at least one backup onto a separate device.
10-06-2011, 01:59 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PSP X4 has 16 bit functionality on most commands and the raw conversion is way better, I use now the standard settings without opening the dialog...