Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

Sharing between computers - LR3 & PE9

I currently have Lightroom 3 and PS Elements 9 on our family's desktop computer. I backup my picture files to an external hard drive every couple of weeks. I finally bit the bullet and bought a laptop on which I'll run LR3 and PSE9 and which I'm planning to use almost exclusively for sorting and editing photos, as well as being able to do tethered shooting.

My wife now has my old K-x, so she is going to be using the desktop computer for viewing her pics. At this point, she is a total beginner with a DSLR and probably doesn't want to deal with LR3 or PSE9. She'd prefer something where she can just view her pics, delete the ones she doesn't want, and choose the ones she wants to post on Facebook. This last thing is important to her - it's gotta be close to a one-click process for getting her selected pics onto FB.

Can someone suggest a really simple photo program for her?

Now for my new laptop (which I should receive within about 10 days), I'm not planning on moving all my old pics onto the hard-drive. They are already on the desktop and also on the external hard drive. So I'll be starting with a clean slate, so to speak. But what I'm wondering about is how I'll access the pics that are currently on the external hard drive. Since it's a new install of the LR3, I'm assuming I'll have to add them to the library, as needed.(???) I don't have a real handle on these programs yet (obviously ) and haven't really thought this through yet. I know that I'm not able to view RAW pics on the desktop unless I'm using LR3 or PSE9.

Advice on making a smooth transition and keeping things tidy will be appreciated.

Thanks
Ross

09-30-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have all my photos on an external drive, and backed up on a second external drive.

THe main photo drive is a shared drive (I use windows) accessible to all those on my network, so that any one can, open and edit files from any computer.

the only issue is that it can be slow on WiFi.

One thing to really consider is to always save under a new file name, if editing. I use the origonal file name with an alphabetic suffix, a, b, c etc....
09-30-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
All your wife would really need is Picasa and the Facebook uploader app.

Picasa Uploader on Facebook | Facebook
09-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #4

Picasa or Windows Live Photo Gallery. Both free, both do a similar job.

09-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll download Picasa and the FB app. Then make that the default program on the desktop when she connects her camera to the computer. That's great! Thanks.